Molecular and Functional Characterization of ZmNF-YC14 in Transgenic Arabidopsis
- 27 Downloads
The optimum transition stage from vegetative to reproductive development is important for flowering plants to obtain the desired plant architecture to maximize yield. In this study, we overexpressed the maize NUCLEAR FACTOR Y, SUBUNIT C 14 (ZmNF-YC14) gene in Arabidopsis to investigate its potential functions in the regulation of plant transition. Overexpression of ZmNF-YC14 in Arabidopsis inhibited plant flowering and retarded the duration of the branch-producing inflorescence phase 1 (I1). These plants exhibited increased length of I1 and higher ratio of inflorescence phase 1 to inflorescence phase (I) (I1:I) under long-day conditions. As a consequence, these transgenic plants exhibited dramatic changes in their overall inflorescence morphology. In addition, the phenotypes of inflorescence morphology caused by ZmNF-YC14 overexpression were enhanced by exogenous gibberellin (GA) treatment, which obtained a significant increase in I1:I, inflorescence phase 1 to inflorescence phase 2 (I2) (I1:I2), and remarkable decrease in I2 and I2:I in transgenic plants compared to those under normal conditions. Taken together, the results of this study suggest that ZmNFYC14 negatively regulates flowering and controls flower formation under long-day conditions in Arabidopsis and may be involved in a GA regulation pathway.
KeywordsFlowering time GA pathway Maize NF-YC Inflorescence architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman JL, Alvarez J, Weigel D, Meyerowitz EM, Smyth DR (1993) Control of flower development in Arabidopsis thaliana by APETALA1 and interacting genes. Dev 119:721–743Google Scholar
- Dill A, Sun T (2001) Synergistic derepression of gibberellin signaling by removing RGA and GAI function in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genet 159:777–785Google Scholar
- Hempel FD, Weigel D, Mandel MA, Ditta G, Zambryski PC, Feldman LJ, Yanofsky MF (1997) Floral determination and expression of floral regulatory genes in Arabidopsis. Dev 124:3845–3853Google Scholar
- Nelson DE, Repetti PP, Adams TR, Creelman RA, Wu J, Warner DC, Anstrom DC, Bensen RJ, Castiglioni PP, Donnarummo MG (2007) Plant nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) B subunits confer drought tolerance and lead to improved corn yields on water-limited acres. P Natl Acad Sci USA 104:16450–16455CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rédei GP (1962) Supervital Mutants of Arabidopsis. Genet 47:443Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe OJ, Amaya I, Vincent CA, Rothstein S, Carpenter R, Coen ES, Bradley DJ (1998) A common mechanism controls the life cycle and architecture of plants. Dev 125:1609Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe OJ, Bradley DJ, Coen ES (1999) Separation of shoot and floral identity in Arabidopsis. Dev 126:1109–1120Google Scholar
- Zhu S, Wang J, Cai M, Zhang H, Wu F, Xu Y, Li C, Cheng Z, Zhang X, Guo X (2017) The OsHAPL1-DTH8-Hd1 complex functions as the transcription regulator to repress heading date in rice. J Exp Bot 68:553–568Google Scholar