Analysis the role of arabidopsis CKRC6/ASA1 in auxin and cytokinin biosynthesis
- 127 Downloads
The crosstalk between auxin and cytokinin (CK) is important for plant growth and development, although the underlying molecular mechanisms remain unclear. Here, we describe the isolation and characterization of a mutant of Arabidopsis Cytokinin-induced Root Curling 6 (CKRC6), an allele of ANTHRANILATE SYNTHASE ALPHA SUBUNIT 1 (ASA1) that encodes the á-subunit of AS in tryptophan (Trp) biosynthesis. The ckrc6 mutant exhibits root gravitropic defects and insensitivity to both CK and the ethylene precursor 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylicacid (ACC) in primary root growth. These defects can be rescued by exogenous indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) or tryptophan (Trp) supplementation. Furthermore, our results suggest that the ckrc6 mutant has decreased IAA content, differential expression patterns of auxin biosynthesis genes and CK biosynthesis isopentenyl transferase (IPT) genes in comparison to wild type. Collectively, our study shows that auxin controls CK biosynthesis based on that CK sensitivity is altered in most auxin-resistant mutants and that CKs promote auxin biosynthesis but inhibit auxin transport and response. Our results also suggest that CKRC6/ASA1 may be located at an intersection of auxin, CK and ethylene metabolism and/or signaling.
KeywordsAuxin Biosynthesis Cytokinin Ethylene IPTs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng ZJ, Wang L, Sun W, Zhang Y, Zhou C, Su YH, Li W, Sun TT, Zhao XY, Li XG, Cheng YF, Zhao YD, Xie Q, Zhang XS (2013) Pattern of Auxin and Cytokinin Responses for Shoot Meristem Induction Results from the Regulation of Cytokinin Biosynthesis by AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR3. Plant Physiol 161:240–251CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Di DW, Zhang C, Luo P, An CW, Guo GQ (2015b) The biosynthesis of auxin: how many paths truly lead to IAA? Plant Growth Regul 10.1007/s10725-015-0103-5Google Scholar
- He W, Brumos J, Li H, Ji Y, Ke M, Gong X, Zeng Q, Li W, Zhang X, An F, Wen X, Li P, Chu J, Sun X, Yan C, Yan N, Xie DY, Raikhel N, Yang Z, Stepanova AN, Alonso JM, Guo H (2011) A small-molecule screen identifies L-kynurenine as a competitive inhibitor of TAA1/TAR activity in ethylene-directed auxin biosynthesis and root growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23:3944–3960.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jones B, Gunneras SA, Petersson SV, Tarkowski P, Graham N, May S, Dolezal K, Sandberg G, Ljung K (2010) Cytokinin Regulation of Auxin Synthesis in Arabidopsis Involves a Homeostatic Feedback Loop Regulated via Auxin and Cytokinin Signal Transduction. Plant Cell 22:2956–2969CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Miyawaki K, Tarkowski P, Matsumoto-Kitano M, Kato T, Sato S, Tarkowska D, Tabata S, Sandberg G, Kakimoto T (2006) Roles of Arabidopsis ATP/ADP isopentenyltransferases and tRNA isopentenyltransferases in cytokinin biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103:16598–16603CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nordstrom A, Tarkowski P, Tarkowska D, Norbaek R, Astot C, Dolezal K, Sandberg G (2004) Auxin regulation of cytokinin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana: A factor of potential importance for auxin-cytokinin-regulated development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101:8039–8044CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tao Y, Ferrer JL, Ljung K, Pojer F, Hong F, Long JA, Li L, Moreno JE, Bowman ME, Ivans LJ, Cheng Y, Lim J, Zhao Y, Ballare CL, Sandberg G, Noel JP, Chory J (2008) Rapid synthesis of auxin via a new tryptophan-dependent pathway is required for shade avoidance in plants. Cell 133:164–176CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Weigel D, Ahn JH, Blazquez MA, Borevitz JO, Christensen SK, Fankhauser C, Ferrandiz C, Kardailsky I, Malancharuvil EJ, Neff MM, Nguyen JT, Sato S, Wang ZY, Xia YJ, Dixon RA, Harrison MJ, Lamb CJ, Yanofsky MF, Chory J (2000) Activation tagging in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 122:1003–1013CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar