Coordinating a two-echelon supply chain under production disruption when retailers compete with price and service level
- 1k Downloads
Business competition among the individual retailers in a supply chain is a common event, and it plays an important role in making supply chain decisions. In a newsvendor setting, this paper investigates a supply chain system with a sole manufacturer who may face a production disruption, and two independent retailers who compete each other with price and service level. The demand at each retailer is random but influenced by the prices and service levels of both the retailers. We formulate the decentralized system as a manufacturer-Stackelberg game and characterize the equilibrium behaviour of the system. We further show that a wholesale price discount scheme can coordinate the supply chain and achieve win–win outcome. A numerical example is given to illustrate the theoretical results and study the impact of production yield due to production disruption on the performance of the supply chain.
KeywordsSupply chain Production disruption Retail price Service competition
The authors are thankful to the anonymous reviewers for their comments and suggestions which have helped to improve the quality of the paper. The work was done when the first author visited Louisiana State University, USA as a Fulbright-Nehru Senior Research Fellow.
- Cachon GP (2003) Supply chain coordination with contracts in handbooks in operations research and management science: supply chain management. North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Giri BC (2011) Managing inventory with two suppliers under yield uncertainty and risk aversion. Int J Prod Econ 81–82:265–279Google Scholar
- Hall J, Porteus E (2000) Customer service competition in capacitated systems. Manuf Serv Oper Manag 2(2):144–165Google Scholar
- Khojasteh MA, Naseri MA, Zegordi SH (2013) Competitive pricing in a supply chain using a game theoretic approach. Iran J Oper Res 4(2):161–174Google Scholar
- Lariviere MA, Porteus EL (2001) Selling to the newsvendor: an analysis of price-only contract. Manuf Serv Oper Manag 3(4):293–305Google Scholar
- Ren L, He Y, Song H (2014) Price and service competition of dual-channel supply chain with consumer returns. Discret Dyn Nat Soc. Article ID 565603. doi: 10.1155/2014/565603
- Tsay AA, Agrawal N (2000) Channel dynamics under price and service competition. Manuf Serv Oper Manag 2(4):372–391Google Scholar
- Tsay A, Nahmias S, Agrawal N (1999) Modeling supply chain contracts: a review. In: Tayur S, Magazine M, Ganeshan R (eds) Quantitative models for supply chain management. Kluwer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Van Mieghem JA, Dada M (1999) Price versus production postponement: capacity and competition. Manag Sci 45(12):1631–1649Google Scholar
- Van Ryzin G, Mahajan S (1999) Retail inventories and consumer choice. In: Tayur S, Magazine M, Ganeshan R (eds) Quantitative methods in supply chain management. Kluwer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar