What is the evidence? A call for scientific rigor
Fourteenth Annual Mario S. Verani, MD, Memorial Lecture
- 191 Downloads
Thank you Ami for those kind words of introduction. During the 1980s, I interfaced extensively with Mario Verani. I can recall when he first told me that he was going to start working on adenosine for pharmacologic stress, which led to this landmark paper in Circulation. 1 (Figure 1) Subsequently he, Frans Wackers, and I collaborated on the development of Tc-99m sestamibi for acute infarction imaging, which led to this paper on planar imaging 2 (Figure 2) and this paper on SPECT imaging 3 (Figure 3). My most extensive contact with Mario was when we both served on an ACCF/AHA Guidelines Committee on Radionuclide Imaging, which was chaired by Jim Ritchie and included Tim Bateman and Bob Bonow 4 (Figure 4). Mario believed in scientific rigor. I believe that he would approve of my focus today on the need for scientific rigor in our field. In the first half of this lecture, I will focus on past lessons from these five areas (Table 1); in the second half of this lecture, I will...
KeywordsAmyloidosis Cardiac Sarcoidosis Scientific Rigor Coronary Calcium Score Thallium Imaging
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Dr. Gibbons has consulting relationships with Lantheus Medical Imaging, Astellas Pharmaceuticals, and Peer View Institute.
- 3.Gibbons RJ, Verani MS, Behrenbeck T, Pellikka PA, O’Connor MK, Mahmarian JJ, et al. Feasibility of tomographic technetium-99m-hexakis-2-methylpropyl-isonitrile imaging for the assessment of myocardial area at risk and the effect of acute treatment in myocardial infarction. Circulation 1989;80:1277-86.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ritchie J, Bateman TM, Bonow RO, Crawford MH, Gibbons RJ, Hall RJ et al. Guidelines for clinical use of cardiac radionuclide imaging. A report of the American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Task Force on Assessment of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiovascular Procedures, Committee on Radionuclide Imaging, developed in collaboration with the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology. Circulation 1995;91:1278-303.Google Scholar
- 7.Gibbons RJ, Chatterjee K, Daley J, Douglas JS, Fihn SD, Gardin JM, et al. ACC/AHA/ACP-ASIM guidelines for the management of patients with chronic stable angina: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Management of Patients with Chronic Stable Angina). J Am Coll Cardiol 1999;33:2092-197.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hachamovitch R, Hayes SW, Friedman JD, Cohen I, Berman DS. Comparison of the short-term survival benefit associated with revascularization compared with medical therapy in patients with no prior coronary artery disease undergoing stress myocardial perfusion single photon emission computed tomography. Circulation 2003;107:2900-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Montalescot G, Sechtem U, Achenbach S, Andreotti F, Arden C, Budaj A, et al. 2013 ESC guidelines on the management of stable coronary artery disease. The Task Force on the management of stable coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2013;34:2949-3003.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hachamovitch R, Nutter B, Hlatky MA, Shaw LJ, Ridner ML, Dorbala S, et al. Patient management after noninvasive cardiac imaging results from SPARC (Study of myocardial perfusion and coronary anatomy imaging roles in coronary artery disease). J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;59:462-74.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Amsterdam EA, Wenger NK, Brindis RG, Casey DE Jr, Ganiats TG, Holmes DR Jr, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the management of patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;64:e139-228.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Diagnostic standard and guidelines for sarcoidosis. Jpn J Sarcoidosis Granulomatous Disord 2007;27:89-102. Google Scholar
© American Society of Nuclear Cardiology 2016