Advances in technical aspects of myocardial perfusion SPECT imaging
- 979 Downloads
Although myocardial perfusion SPECT (MPS) imaging is widely used in current clinical practice, it suffers from some fundamental limitations including long image acquisition, low image resolution, and patient radiation dose. In the last two decades, MPS was performed most commonly by standard dual-head scintillation cameras with parallel-hole collimators, typically configured in a 90° detector geometry and image reconstruction based on standard filtered-back projection algorithms. The required scan times were as along as 15-20 minutes for each stress and rest MPS acquisition to provide adequate imaging statistics, resulting in long overall test times and frequent artifacts caused by patient motion during the scan as well as compromised patient comfort. Recently, it has become very important to address these limitations, since MPS has new competitors in the non-invasive imaging arena most notably coronary CT angiography (CCTA), which allow diagnostic imaging in a very short time. In...
KeywordsAttenuation Correction Iterative Reconstruction Order Subset Expectation Maximization Myocardial Perfusion SPECT Cadmium Zinc Telluride
Daniel Berman has equity position in Spectrum Dynamics, Inc. We would like to acknowledge help of the following individuals who have sent material, data, and images relating to specific technologies: Gordon DePuey, Columbia University, NYC; Gary Heller University of Connecticut School of Medicine CT; Ernest V. Garcia, Emory University, Atlanta, GA; Hans Vija, Siemens Medical Solutions, Hoffman Estates, IL; Horace Hines and Angela Da Silva Philips, Malpitas, CA; Dennis Kirch, Nuclear Research, Denver, CO; Dalia Sherry, Spectrum Dynamics (Haifa, Israel); Terri Garner (CardiArc, In, TX); Richard Conwell (Digirad, San Diego, CA); Frank Anstett (GE HealthCare).
In addition, we would like to thank Joyoni Dey, University of Massachusetts, Worcester, and Gillian Haemer, University of Southern California, LA, for comments and proofreading the text.
- 3.Babla H, Bai C, Conwell R. A triple-head solid state camera for cardiac single photon emission tomography (SPECT). In: Franks LA, Burger A, James RB, Barber HB, Doty FP, Roehrig H, editors. Proceedings of the SPIE. vol. 6319. 2005. p. 63190M.Google Scholar
- 5.Bai C, Conwell R, Babla H, et al. Improving image quality and imaging efficiency using nSPEED. http://www.digirad.com/downloads_2007/nSPEED_white_paper.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2008.
- 6.Maddahi J, Mahmarian J, Mendez R, et al. Prospective multi-center evaluation of rapid gated SPECT myocardial perfusion upright imaging (abstract). J Nucl Med 2008;49:2P.Google Scholar
- 7.www.CardiArc.com. Accessed 30 May 2008.
- 10.O’Connor M. Evaluation of the CardiArc dedicated cardiac system (unpublished independent evaluation). Rochester, MN: Mayo Clinic; 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.Sharir T, Ben-Haim S, Merzon K, et al. High-speed myocardial perfusion imaging Initial clinical comparison with conventional dual detector anger camera imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol Cardiovasc Imaging 2008;1:156-63.Google Scholar
- 12.Rousso B, Nagler M. Spectrum Dynamics LLC, assignee. Multi-dimensional image reconstruction. US patent 7176466. 13 Feb 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.Patton J, Sandler M, Berman D, et al. D-SPECT: A new solid state camera for high speed molecular imaging. Soc Nuclear Med 2006;47:189-189.Google Scholar
- 15.Ben-Haim S, Hutton B, Van Gramberg D, et al. Simultaneous dual isotope myocardial perfusion scintigraphy (DI MPS)—Initial experience with fast D-SPECT (abstract). J Nucl Cardiol 2008;15:S2.Google Scholar
- 16.Berman D, SW H, Wolak A, et al. Stress thallium-201/rest Tc-99m sequential dual isotope high-speed myocardial perfusion imaging. Circulation 2008;118:S1010.Google Scholar
- 23.Funk T, Després P, Barber WC, Shah KS, Hasegawa BH. A multipinhole small animal SPECT system with submillimeter spatial resolution. Med Phys 2006;33:1259-68.Google Scholar
- 25.Volokh L, Hugg J, Blevis I, Asma E, Jansen F, Manjeshwar R. Effect of detector energy response on image quality of myocardial perfusion SPECT. Paper presented at IEEE nuclear science symposium and medical imaging conference, 19–26, 2008; Dresden.Google Scholar
- 26.Blevis I, Tsukerman L, Volokh L, Hugg J, Jansen F, Bouhnik J. CZT gamma camera with pinhole collimator: Spectral measurements. Paper presented at IEEE 2008 nuclear science and medical imaging conference, 2008; Dreseden, Germany.Google Scholar
- 29.Vija A, Hawman E, Engdahl J. Analysis of a SPECT OSEM reconstruction method with 3D beam modeling and optional attenuation correction: Phantom studies. Paper presented at IEEE nuclear science symposium and medical imaging conference, 2003.Google Scholar
- 31.Vija H, Chapman J, Ray M. IQ•SPECT technology white paper. Siemens Medical Solutions, USA. Mol Imaging 2008;1–7.Google Scholar
- 38.Ye J, Song X, Zhao Z, Da Silva AJ, Wiener JS, Shao L. Iterative SPECT reconstruction using matched filtering for improved image quality. IEEE Nucl Sci Symp Conf Rec 2006;4.Google Scholar
- 39.Ye J, Shao L, Zhao Z, Durbin M. Iterative reconstruction with enhanced noise control filtering. WO patent WO/2007/034,342; 2007.Google Scholar
- 41.Venero CV, Ahlberg AW, Bateman TM, et al. Enhancement of nuclear cardiac laboratory efficiency—Multicenter evaluation of a new post-processing method with depth-dependent collimator resolution applied to full and half-time acquisitions. J Nucl Cardiol 2008;15:S4.Google Scholar
- 44.DePuey E, Gadiraju R, Clark J, Thompson L, Anstett F, Shwartz S. OSEM and wide beam reconstruction (WBR) “half-time” gated myocardial perfusion SPECT functional imaging: A comparison to “full-time” filtered back projection. J Nucl Cardiol 2008;15:547-63.Google Scholar
- 49.Alenius S, Ruotsalainen U. Bayesian image reconstruction for emission tomography based on median root prior. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 1997;24:258-65.Google Scholar
- 50.Vija AH, Zeintl J, Chapman JT, Hawman EG, Hornegger J. Development of rapid SPECT acquisition protocol for myocardial perfusion imaging. IEEE Nucl Sci Symp Conf Rec 2006;3:1811-6.Google Scholar
- 52.Zeintl J, Ding X, Vija AH, Hawman EG, Hornegger J, Kuwert T. Estimation accuracy of ejection fraction in gated cardiac SPECT/CT imaging using iterative reconstruction with 3D resolution recovery in rapid acquisition protocols. 2007 NSS ‘07 IEEE Nucl Sci Symp Conf Rec 2007;6:4491-6.Google Scholar
- 53.Ultraspect. www.UltraSPECT.com. Accessed 6 Sept 2008.