More than one century after Paget’s clairvoyant « seed and soil » hypothesis to explain the clinical logistics of metastases , our view on tumor development and invasion has been enriched with the interconnected concepts of “tumor cells plasticity” and “tumor cells-microenvironment cross-interaction and cross-manipulation”. The term “cell plasticity” was originally used in 1999 by Thiery JP and Chopin D  to describe the molecular mechanisms involved in Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) during morphogenesis and tumor progression. Tumor cells plasticity refers now to the protean capacity of tumor cells to shift from one differentiation state to another . Interestingly, the acquired stem characteristics may include a higher level of interaction, and manipulation, of microenvironment. This tumor cells’ feature of “changing” and “be changed by” “their own world” is presumably quite common in life, not only at the human beings level, but also at the cellular level,...
KeywordsCirculate Tumor Cell Metastasis Suppressor Gene Circulate Tumor Cell Detection Orthotopic Mouse Model Hypoxic Tumor Microenvironment
- 5.Meseure D (2014) Pivotal role of pervasive neoplastic and stromal cells reprogramming in circulating tumor cells dissemination and metastatic colonization. Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0158-2
- 6.Welch D (2014) Micorenvironmental influences on metasatis suppressor expression and fuction during a metastacic cell’s journey. Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0148-4
- 7.Hoffman RM (2014) Orthotopic mouse models of the tumor microenvironment expressing fluorescent reporters produce imageable cirulating tumor cells. Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0154-6
- 8.Lugassy C (2014) Angiotropism, pericytic mimicry and extravascular migratory metastasis in melanoma: an alternative to Intravascular Cancer Dissemination. Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0156-4
- 9.Chouaib S (2014) Crosstalk between CTC, Immune system and hypoxic tumor microenvironment. Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0157-3
- 10.Paterlini-Brechot P (2014) Circulating Tumor Cells: who is the killer? Cancer Microenviron. doi: 10.1007/s12307-014-0164-4