Outcomes of neck modularity in total hip arthroplasty: an Italian perspective
- 23 Downloads
The aim of this study is to conduct a systematic review of clinical outcomes and complications of modular neck THA among Italian cohorts.
Only reviewed publications focused on Italian cohort patients in English language were considered for inclusion. Studies were included if they involved patients who underwent total hip replacement surgery with modular necks, and reported aetiology or survival rate or bone stability or clinical scores or complications.
The studies included in our search reported data on 3714 patients and 3856 hips. Most of the studies were from high-volume surgery centres. The most frequent diagnosis was osteoarthritis that occurred in 2910 cases (75.9%). The average survival rate and average bone stability were 97.20% and 99.37%, respectively. The average HHS improved from 42.1 prior to surgery to 89.52 after surgery. Studies included in our search reported 40 complications. The most frequently reported complication was dislocation (40%).
This review showed excellent survival rate and bone stability and good clinical outcomes in Italian cohort patients treated with modular neck THA, and these clinical results are comparable with international cohort rates. This review suggests that modular implants represent a very satisfying choice when practised by expert orthopaedic joint surgeons.
KeywordsTotal hip arthroplasty Modular neck Modular stem Modular implants Complications Outcomes Italian cohorts
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Goyal N, Hozack WJ (2010) Neck-modular femoral stems for total hip arthroplasty. Surg Technol Int 20:309–313Google Scholar
- 8.Osman K, Panagiotidou AP, Khan M, Blunn G, Haddad FS (2016) Corrosion at the head-neck interface of current designs of modular femoral components: essential questions and answers relating to corrosion in modular head-neck junctions. Bone Joint J 98-B:579–584. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B5.35592 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Toni A, Sudanese A, Paderni S, Guerra E, Bianchi G, Antonietti B, Giunti A (2001) Cementless hip arthroplasty with a modular neck. Chir Organi Mov 86:73–85Google Scholar
- 11.Capanna R, Biagini R, Ruggieri P, Bettelli G, Campanacci M (1985) The Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute modular-type prosthesis for the proximal femur; preliminary results. Chir Organi Mov 70:45–51Google Scholar
- 16.Antonietti B, Paderni S, Sama D, Comitini V, Sudanese A (2003) Anatomic cementless total hip arthroplasty with ceramic bearings and modular necks: 3 to 5 years follow-up. Chir Organi Mov 88:259–265Google Scholar
- 24.Wirtz DC, Gravius S, Ascherl R, Thorweihe M, Forst R, Noeth U, Maus UM, Wimmer MD, Zeiler G, Deml MC (2014) Uncemented femoral revision arthroplasty using a modular tapered, fluted titanium stem: 5- to 16-year results of 163 cases. Acta Orthop 85:562–569. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2014.958809 CrossRefGoogle Scholar