Metals pollution in freshly deposited sediments from river Mingoa, main tributary to the Municipal lake of Yaounde, Cameroon
- 128 Downloads
Freshly deposited thirty six surface sediments from river Mingoa, main tributary to the Municipal lake of Yaounde in Cameroon, were sampled to determine the degree, sources and distribution of metals contamination. The concentrations of trace elements were measured by ICP-AES for the samples collected at different stations in January 2005. Generally, the concentration of metals (Ca, Mg, Na, K, Fe, Mn, Al, Cr, Co, Cu, Cd, Ni, Pb, Zn, Sr, Ba and Si) in the sediments reflected an anthropogenic inputs. The sediments were characterized by a high amount of organic matter (LOI) with a mean value of 12.44%. Enrichment Factors (EF) and Geoaccumulation Index (I geo ) were calculated and the relative contamination levels were assessed at these sites. With the exception of Ni, the enrichment of toxic metals was high. Descriptive statistics and multivariate analysis (principal factor method) were used to assist the interpretation of elemental data. This allowed the determination of the correlations between the metals and LOI variability in the sediments, and the identification of four main factors loadings controlling by parent rocks, anthropogenic input, organic compounds and weathering of silicate minerals.
Key wordssediments metals pollution Municipal lake Yaounde Cameroon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biney, C., Calamari, D., Naeve, H., Maembe, T.W., Nyakageni, B., and Saad, M.A.H., 1994, Scientific bases for pollution control. Review of pollution in the African aquatic environment, FAO, 25, 7–22.Google Scholar
- Gangaiya, P., Tabudravu, J., South, R., and Sotheeswaran, S., 2001, Heavy metal contamination of the Lami coastal environment, Fiji. S. Pac. J. Nat. Sci., 19, 24–29.Google Scholar
- Müller, G., 1981, Die Schwemetallbelastung der sediments des Nekkars und seiner Nebenflusse: eine Bestandsanfnahme. Chemical Zeitung, 105, 157–164.Google Scholar
- Nasr, S.M., Okbah, M.A., and Kasem, S.M., 2006, Environmental assessment of heavy metal pollution in bottom sediments of Aden Port, Yemen. International Journal of Oceans and Oceanography, 1, 99–109.Google Scholar
- Nzenti, J.P., Barbey, P., Jegouzo, P., and Moreau, C., 1984, Un nouvel exemple de ceinture granulitique dans une chaîne protérozoïque de collision: les migmatites de yaoundé au Cameroon. C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, 299, 1197–1199.Google Scholar
- Ravanelli, M., Tubertini, O., Valcher, S., and Martinotti, W., 1997, Heavy metal distribution in sediment cores from western Ross Sea (Antarctica). Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 99, 697–704.Google Scholar
- Saad, M.A.H., Amuzu, A.T., Biney, C., Calamari, D., Imevbore, A.M., Naeve, H., and Ochumba, P.B.O., 1994, Domestic and industrial organic loads. Review of pollution in the African aquatic environment, FAO, 25, 23–31.Google Scholar