Assessment of Hematological Parameters in Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients
- 107 Downloads
The aim of the study was the assessment of hematological parameters in pulmonary tuberculosis patients. Forty patients diagnosed with tuberculosis were recruited from the Institute of Thoracic Medicine on the basis of history, clinical examination, chest radiography, sputum examination and related laboratory parameters and were compared with age and sex matched healthy volunteers (n = 40). Hematological parameters and CRP in tuberculosis patients were determined. The mean values for serum hemoglobin level, RBC count and platelet count in PTB was found to be less (p < 0.001). Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), plasma C-reactive protein, WBC count in PTB subjects was increased (p < 0.001 for ESR & CRP, p < 0.05 for WBCs) and all were statistically significant. This study demonstrated that serum hemoglobin level, RBC count and platelet count was decreased in tuberculosis patients whereas ESR, CRP and WBC count was increased when compared with healthy controls.
KeywordsHematological parameters Tuberculosis CRP ESR RBC and platelet count
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
There were no conflicts of interest regarding the publication of this article.
The study protocol was approved by the Institutional ethics committee and was carried out in accordance with the principle of Declaration of Helsinki.
Informed consent was obtained from all the subjects.
- 2.Rohini K, Srikumar PS, Saxena J, Mahesh Kumar A. Alteration in the levels of micronutrients in tuberculosis patients. Int J Biol Med Res. 2013;4(1):2958–61.Google Scholar
- 3.Rohini K, Srikumar PS, Mahesh Kumar A. A study on the relationship between calcium, oxidative stress and immune response in pulmonary tuberculosis patients. J Chem Biol Phys Sci. 2014–2015; 5(1):378–383.Google Scholar
- 4.Rohini K, Bhat MS, Srikumar PS. Diagnostic and prognostic value of procalcitonin in TB Patients. Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG. 2015.Google Scholar
- 6.Rohini K, Srikumar PS. Biomarkers tuberculosis. Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG. ISBN 978-3-659-17672-2.Google Scholar
- 8.Shaikh MK, Samo JA, Devrajani BR, Shah SZA, Shaikh S, Shaikh I. C-reactive protein in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. World Appl Sci J. 2012;17(2):140–4.Google Scholar
- 9.Rohini K, Bhat MS, Srikumar PS, Jyoti S, Mahesh Kumar A. Body weight gain in pulmonary tuberculosis during chemotherapy. Int J Collab Res Intern Med Public Health. 2013;5(4):247–54.Google Scholar
- 18.Godwin AO, Johnson DJ, Otimenbhor JO. Total serum calcium and inorganic phosphate levels in tuberculosis patients in Benin city. Niger Sierra Leone J Biomed Res. 2010;2(2):87–90.Google Scholar
- 19.Rohini K, Srikumar PS, Saxena J, Mahesh Kumar A, Bhat MS. Assessment of serum calcium, phosphorus, c-reactive protein and procalcitonin in tuberculosis patients. Int J Collab Res Intern Med Public Health. 2012;4(12):1875–968.Google Scholar