A Critical Review on Clinical Application of Separation Techniques for Selective Recognition of Uracil and 5-Fluorouracil
- 314 Downloads
The most important objectives that are frequently found in bio-analytical chemistry involve applying tools to relevant medical/biological problems and refining these applications. Developing a reliable sample preparation step, for the medical and biological fields is another primary objective in analytical chemistry, in order to extract and isolate the analytes of interest from complex biological matrices. Since, main inborn errors of metabolism (IEM) diagnosable through uracil analysis and the therapeutic monitoring of toxic 5-fluoruracil (an important anti-cancerous drug) in dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficient patients, require an ultra-sensitive, reproducible, selective, and accurate analytical techniques for their measurements. Therefore, keeping in view, the diagnostic value of uracil and 5-fluoruracil measurements, this article refines several analytical techniques involved in selective recognition and quantification of uracil and 5-fluoruracil from biological and pharmaceutical samples. The prospective study revealed that implementation of molecularly imprinted polymer as a solid-phase material for sample preparation and preconcentration of uracil and 5-fluoruracil had proven to be effective as it could obviates problems related to tedious separation techniques, owing to protein binding and drastic interferences, from the complex matrices in real samples such as blood plasma, serum samples.
KeywordsBio-analytical applications Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) 5-Fluorouracil Separation techniques Therapeutic drug monitoring Uracil
The author greatly acknowledged to her funding Agency University Grant Commission-Dr. D. S. Kothari Post Doctoral Fellowship, New Delhi (Grant No. S-25/24198 DSK-PDF) for providing financial support, Prof. S. S. Pandey, for providing valuable suggestions, and the Head of Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, BHU, Varanasi, for pursuing the project.
Conflict of interest
The author declared no competing interests.
- 1.Coudore F, Roche D, Lefeuvre S, Faussot D, Billaud EM, Loriot MA, et al. Validation of an ultra-high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometric method for quantifying uracil and 5, 6-dihydrouracil in human plasma. J Chromatogr Sci. 2012;00:1–8.Google Scholar
- 4.Hall AJ, Manesiotis P, Mossing JT, Sellergren B. Molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) against uracils: functional monomer design, monomer-template interactions in solution and MIP performance in chromatography. Mater Res Soc Symp Proc. 2002;723:11–5.Google Scholar
- 11.Prasad BB, Tiwari K, Singh M, Sharma PS, Patel AK, Srivastava S. Ultratrace analysis of uracil and 5-fluorouracil by molecularly imprinted polymer brushes grafted to silylated solid-phase microextraction fiber in combination with complementary molecularly imprinted polymer-based sensor. Biomed Chromatogr. 2009;23:499–509.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.César IC, Cunha-Júnior GF, Duarte Byrro RM, Vaz Coelho LG, Pianetti GA. A rapid HPLC-ESI-MS/MS method for determination of dihydrouracil/uracil ratio in plasma: evaluation of toxicity to 5-flurouracil in patients with gastrointestinal cancer. Ther Drug Monit. 2012;34:59–66.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Paw B, Misztal G. Chromatographic analysis (TLC) of uracil arabinoside, uracil, and cytosine in human plasma. Acta Pol Pharma. 1995;52:455–7.Google Scholar
- 23.Xia SL, Wang HY, Sun H, Liu YK, Cao SK. Preparation of molecularly imprinted copolymer membrane for uracil recognition. Chin Chem Lett. 2003;14:793–6.Google Scholar
- 24.Xia SL, Wang HY, Kobayashi T. Phase inversion molecularly imprinting of uracil targeted membranes made of polyacrylonitrile copolymers having methacrylic acid and acrylic acid segments for recognition and permselective binding. Mater Res Soc Symp Proc. 2004;787:103–7.Google Scholar
- 29.Prasad BB, Srivastava S, Tiwari K, Sharma PS. Development of uracil and 5-fluorouracil sensors based on molecularly imprinted polymer-modified hanging mercury drop electrode. Sens Mater. 2009;21:291–306.Google Scholar
- 30.Abraham J, Mathew B. Facile synthesis and characterization of vinyl functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes based molecular imprinted polymer for uracil. Int J Chem Tech Res. 2014;6:1462–71.Google Scholar
- 37.Stashkevich MA, Khomutov EV, Shatova OP, Dumanskiĭ IV, Zinkovich II. Distribution of 5-fluorouracil between lymphocytes and blood plasma. Ukr Biokhim Zh. 2013;85:94–7.Google Scholar
- 40.Ciccolini J, Mercier C, Blachon MF, Favre R, Durand A, Lacarelle B. A simple and rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method for 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) assay in plasma and possible detection of patients with impaired dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) activity. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2004;29:307–15.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 51.Tsume Y, Provoda CJ, Amidon GL. The achievement of mass balance by simultaneous quantification of floxuridine prodrug, floxuridine, 5-fluorouracil, 5-dihydrouracil, α-fluoro-β-ureidopropionate, α-fluoro-β-alanine using LC-MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011;879:915–20.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 52.Serdar MA, Sertoğlu E, Uyanık M, Tapan S, Akın O, Cihan M. Determination of 5-fluorouracil and dihydrofluorouracil levels by using a liquidchromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for evaluation of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase enzyme activity. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011;68:525–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 54.Peer CJ, McManus TJ, Hurwitz HI, Petros WP. Development and utilization of a combined LC-UV and LC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous analysis of tegafur and 5-fluorouracil in human plasma to support a phase I clinical study of oral UFT®/leucovorin. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2012;898:32–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 55.Deenen MJ, Rosing H, Hillebrand MJ, Schellens JH, Beijnen JH. Quantitative determination of capecitabine and its six metabolites in human plasma using liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2013;913–914:30–40.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 56.Büchel B, Rhyn P, Schürch S, Bühr C, Amstutz U, Largiadèr CR. LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous analysis of uracil, 5,6-dihydrouracil, 5-fluorouracil and 5-fluoro-5,6-dihydrouracil in human plasma for therapeutic drug monitoring and toxicity prediction in cancer patients. Biomed Chromatogr. 2013;27:7–16.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 59.Guerrieri A, Palmisano F, Zambonin PG, De Lena M, Lorusso V. Solid-phase extraction of fluoropyrimidine derivatives on a copper-modified strong cation exchanger: determination of doxifluridine, 5-fluorouracil and its main metabolites in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr. 1993;617:71–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar