It is time for strategic rethinking
It is time for Europe to undertake a major strategic rethink in the field of security and defence. The article looks at why this is the case and makes recommendations and conclusions on three key elements for EU consideration: the new challenges and the complex nature of security threats faced by the Common Foreign and Security Policy and the Common Security and Defence Policy, the new policy environment and legal framework after 2009, and the need for a new or an updated European security strategy. The paper also shows the relevance of those recommendations and conclusions to the Ukrainian crisis.
KeywordsRethinking Security Threats and challenges Strategy Ukraine Eastern Partnership Common Security and Defence Policy Common Foreign and Security Policy
- Ashton, C. (2013). Preparing the December 2013 European Council on security and defence: Final report by the high representative/head of the EDA on the common security and defence policy. 15 October. http://eeas.europa.eu/statements/docs/2013/131015_02_en.pdf. Accessed 10 March 2014.
- European Council. (2013). Conclusions: 19–20 December 2013. EUCO 217/13, 20 December. http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/ec/140245.pdf. Accessed 10 March 2014.
- German Marshall Fund and Compagnia di San Paolo. (2011). Transatlantic trends: Leaders 2011. http://www.ab.gov.tr/files/ardb/evt/1_avrupa_birligi/1_6_raporlar/1_3_diger/TTL_2011_final_complete.pdf. Accessed 13 March 2014.
- Gotchev, A. (2011). The conflict: Resolution theories and approaches. Sofia: Albatros Publishing.Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum. (2013). Global risks 2013. http://www.weforum.org/reports/global-risks-2013-eighth-edition. Accessed 13 March 2014.