Assessment of steam forming performance of aluminum sheet metal based on experimental studies
- 15 Downloads
This work presents an experimental study of aluminum sheet forming. It shows the performances of a steam hydroforming process. The new forming technique is based on both temperature and pressure to make a sheet form. These parameters are linked to the water vaporization process into a cavity covered by the blank. The performances are deduced by comparing the results obtained from the steam tests with those acquired at room temperature. Performances are expressed in terms of forming loads, surface creation, and forming limits. The experimental results show that the use of the steam temperature as a factor could decrease the limit loads necessary for the forming operation and increase the surface creation. On top of improving forming loads and surface creation, increasing steam temperature induces a clear improvement of forming limits.
KeywordsExperimental test Performance Steam forming Sheet forming
This study was financially supported by the Higher Institute of Technological Studies of Sousse. The authors would like to take this opportunity to express their sincere appreciation to the manager and the Department Head of Mechanical Engineering.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Vasile C, Sorin G (2018) Determination of the force required for the hydroforming of al 99,5.MATEC web of conferences 244, 01003 ITEP’18, https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201824401003
- 8.Mahfoudh A, Cherouat A, Slimani F, Mohamed-Ali R, Ali Z (2011) Experimental and numerical modeling of thermo-forming of anisotropic thin sheet. Appl Mech Mater 62:37–48. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.62.37 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sasawat M, Muammer K (2010) Materiel behavior and formability of magnesium AZ31 sheet under hydroforming conditions. Mater forum 34:105–109Google Scholar
- 15.Siegert K, Jaeger S (2004) Pneumatic bulging of magnesium AZ31 sheet metal at elevated temperatures. The Minerals Metals & Materials Society:87–90Google Scholar
- 16.Salah A, Soula M, Lazgueb T (2017) Experimental study of steam hydroforming of aluminum sheet metal. Exp Techniquesdoi 41(5). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40799-017-0191-4
- 17.Siegert K, Wagner S (1994) Formability characteristics of Aluminium sheet. European Aluminium AssociationGoogle Scholar
- 18.Slimani F (2008) Approche expérimental pour la construction et la prédiction des courbes limites de formage des tôles. Diplôme de master, Institut Supérieur des Sciences Appliquées et de Technologie de SousseGoogle Scholar
- 19.dos Santos Rodrigues LC (2015) Constitutive parameters identification of metal sheets using circular bulge tests. University of Coimbra, PhD thesisGoogle Scholar