Picture-frame testing of woven prepreg fabric: An investigation of sample geometry and shear angle acquisition
- 2 Downloads
This paper examines different concepts in relation to the picture-frame test for shear characterization of a woven prepreg fabric. The influence of the sample arms is investigated by means of cut slits as well as removed transverse tows. Shear angles are obtained using Digital Image Correlation (DIC) and also from images taken during the test which are processed for fiber angles directly from the weave texture. The image processing relies on the Hough transform in MATLAB. The concept of constant shear strain rate is discussed and implemented in the test software by a multi-linear crosshead velocity profile. Finally, bias-extension data are obtained and used for comparison. It is found that the sample arm modifications have a pronounced effect on the measured shear load whereas the uniformness of the shear strain field in the samples is not improved considerably.
KeywordsWoven carbon fiber prepreg Shear characterization Picture frame testing Image analysis
The authors wish to thank the Innovation Fund Denmark (grant no. 5163-00003B) for providing support for the research presented in the paper. The authors also thank Terma Aerostructures A/S for providing the material.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interests
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Cao J, Akkerman R, Boisse P, Chen J, Cheng H S, de Graaf E F, Gorczyca J L, Harrison P, Hivet G, Launay J, Lee W, Liu L, Lomov S V, Long A, de Luycker E, Morestin F, Padvoiskis J, Peng X, Sherwood J A, Stoilova T, Tao X, Verpoest I, Willems A, Wiggers J, Yu T, Zhu B (2008) Characterization of mechanical behavior of woven fabrics: Experimental methods and benchmark results. Compos A: Appl Sci Manuf 39(6):1037–1053. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2008.02.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corporation (2014) Abaqus 6.14 Documentation: 23.4.1 Fabric material behaviorGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ferretti M, Madeo A, Dell’Isola F, Boisse P (2014) Modeling the onset of shear boundary layers in fibrous composite reinforcements by second-gradient theory. Zeitschrift fur Angewandte Mathematik und Physik 65 (3):587–612. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00033-013-0347-8 MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 12.Krieger H, Kaufmann D, Gries T (2015) Kinematic drape algorithm and experimental approach for the design of tailored non-crimp fabrics. Key Eng Mater 651-653:393–398. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.651-653.393 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Lussier D (2000) Shear characterization of textile composite formability Master’s thesis. University of Massachusetts, LowellGoogle Scholar
- 22.Nosrat-Nezami F, Gereke T, Eberdt C, Cherif C (2014) Characterisation of the shear-tension coupling of carbon-fibre fabric under controlled membrane tensions for precise simulative predictions of industrial preforming processes. Compos A: Appl Sci Manuf 67:131–139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2014.08.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Olson B G, Krieger H, Sherwood J A, Willis D J, Bergeron K (2017) Investigation of tensile properties of braided parachute suspension line. In: 24th AIAA aerodynamic decelerator systems technology conference american institute of aeronautics and astronautics, Denver, Colorado. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2017-4198