Infrared heating stage simulation of semi-transparent media (PET) using ray tracing method
Stretch blow molding or thermoforming processes includes an infrared heating stage of the thermoplastic preform by infrared heaters. The knowledge of the temperature distribution on the surface and through the thickness of the preform is important to make good prediction of thickness and properties of the manufactured parts. Currently in industry, the fitting of the process parameters is given by experience and is expensive. Our objective is to provide tools that are able to simulate the heat transfers between infrared heaters and preforms in order to reduce the fitting cost and to control the qualities of the end products. The optical method called “ray tracing” is used to simulate the radiative transfer. First, we compare the ray tracing method with the view factor method on a simple example: the heating of a square sheet by one infrared lamp. Then, we perform 3D heating stage simulations and compare with experiments. The ray tracing method allows to compute a source term in the transient heat balance equation. Then commercial finite element method softwares can be used to solve the heat balance equation.
KeywordsInfrared heating Ray tracing Stretch blow molding Thermoforming processes Semi-transparent media PET
This work could not be possible without our industrial partner: O. Demangeon from Toshiba Lighting.
- 1.Champin C (2007) Modélisation 3d du chauffage par rayonnement infrarouge et de l’étirage soufflage de corps creux en p.e.t. Ph.D. thesis, École des Mines de ParisGoogle Scholar
- 3.Desvignes F (1997) Rayonements optiques. Masson, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 5.Leuenberger H, Person RA (1956) Compilation of radiation shape factors for cylindrical assemblies. Presented at ASME Annual Meeting, New York, NY, Nov. 25–30, 1956Google Scholar
- 6.Mayhan K, James J, Bosch W (1965) Poly(ethylene terephtalate). I. Study of crystallization kinetics. J Appl Polym Sci 9:3617–3624Google Scholar
- 7.Modest M (1993) Radiative heat transfer balbla. Elsevier ScienceGoogle Scholar
- 8.Monteix S (2001) Modélisation du chauffage convecto-radiatif de préformes en pet pour la réalisation de corps creux. Ph.D. thesis, École des Mines de ParisGoogle Scholar
- 11.Pharr M, Humphreys G (2004) Physically based rendering: From theory to implementation. Elsevier Science, USAGoogle Scholar
- 12.Sacadura J (1973) Initiation aux transferts thermiques. Lavoisier, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 14.Siegel R, Howel J (1992) Thermal radiation heat transfer. Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, USAGoogle Scholar