A note on the MK computational model for predicting the forming limit strains
- 135 Downloads
The Marciniak and Kuczynski computational model, , for predicting the forming limit strains during biaxial stretching of thin sheets with positive strain ratios assumes tangential strain continuity at the interface between the groove and the bulk zones. We question here whether this continuity holds true for the entire loading history in the case of strictly negative strain ratios. An extension of the MK model is proposed for this case. The equations can be integrated in explicit form leading to a more efficient procedure for predicting the left-hand side of the forming limit diagram. Applications to aluminum alloys are presented.
KeywordsForming limit diagram Sheet forming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [1.]Marciniak, Z., Kuczynski, K., 1967. Limit strains in the process of stretch-forming sheet metal. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 9, 609.Google Scholar
- [2.]Keeler, S.P, Backofen, W.A., 1963. Plastic instability and fracture in sheets stretched over rigid punches. ASM Transactions, 56, 25.Google Scholar
- [3.]Goodwin, G.M., 1968. Application of strain analysis to sheet metal forming problems in the press shop. La Metallurgia Italiana, 8, 767.Google Scholar
- [4.]Hutchinson, J.W., Neale, K.W., 1978. Sheet necking-II. Time independent behavior. In Koistinen, D.P, Wang, N.M., eds, Mechanics of sheet metal forming. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- [5.]Soare, S., Banabic, D., 2008. Some remarks on the M-K computational model for the prediction of the limit strains. In preparation.Google Scholar
- [6.]Banabic, D., Aretz, H., Paraianu, L., Jurco, P., 2005. Application of various FLD modelling approaches. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 13, 759.Google Scholar
- [7.]Wu, P.D., Jain, M., Savoie, J., MacEwen, S.R., Tugcu, P., Neale, K.W., 2003. Evaluation of anisotropic yield functions for aluminum sheets. International Journal of Plasticity, 19, 121.Google Scholar