Retrospective Analysis of Hairy Cell Leukemia Patients Treated with Different Modalities as First Line: Real-Life Experience Over 20 years
- 43 Downloads
We aimed to analyze the characteristics and response rates of different treatment modalities in hairy cell leukemia patients over 20 diagnosed as hairy cell leukemia (HCL). Clinical data, response rates and survival outcome of the patients who were diagnosed with HCL were retrospectively analyzed. Fifty-two patients with a median age of 50 (28–87) years were enrolled in the study. 38 patients (73%) were male and male to female ratio was 2.7. First line therapy was cladrabine in 36 patients (69.2%). The overall response rate was 97%. CR and PR rates were 86.1% and 11.1%, respectively. Interferon was used in 10(19.2%) patients who were diagnosed before 2000s years. CR and PR rates were 70% and 30%, respectively. Although the CR rates were lower in IFN group, this difference could not be reached statistically significance (p = 0.24). The median follow up was 48 months (12–252). The median OS was not reached and median PFS was 150 months (95% CI, 116–214). The OS at 36 and 48 months were 95.9% and 92.3%, respectively and the PFS at 36 and 48 months were 90.2% and 83.4%, respectively. After the introduction of purine analogues, the fate of the HCL patients have been changed. Cladrabin achieved very high response rates in both young and older patients, in our study. Although relapse still constitutes a problem, another single dose of cladrabine results in good response rates.
KeywordsHairy cell leukemia Cladrabin Treatment Survival rates Response rates
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from all participants included in the study.
- 13.Foucar KFB, Catovsky D, Stein H (2008) Hairy cell leukaemia. In: Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW (eds) WHO classification of tumours of the haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues, 4th edn. IARC Press, Lyon, pp 188–190Google Scholar
- 15.Anonymous. (1987) Consensus resolution: proposed criteria for evaluation of response to treatment in hairy cell leukemia. Leukemia 1:405Google Scholar
- 16.Hacioglu S, Bilen Y, Eser A, Sivgin S, Gurkan E, Yildirim R, Aydogdu I, Dogu MH, Yilmaz M, Kayikci O, Tombak A, Kuku I, Celebi H, Akay MO, Esen R, Korkmaz S, Keskin A (2015) Multicenter retrospective analysis regarding the clinical manifestations and treatment results in patients with hairy cell leukemia: twenty-four year Turkish experience in cladribine therapy. Hematol Oncol. 33(4):192–198CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Gupta AK, Sachdeva MU, Ahluwalia J, Das R, Naseem S, Sharma P, Kumar N, Malhotra P, Varma N, Varma S (2015) Haematological profile of 21 patients with hairy cell leukaemia in a tertiary care centre of north India. Indian J Med Res. 142(4):426–429. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5916.169204 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Erkut N, Batur D, Akıdan O, Karabacak V, Sonmez M (2018) Long term treatment outcome of patients with hairy cell leukemia: single center experience. J Med Sci 38(3):236–240Google Scholar
- 23.Inbar M, Herishanu Y, Goldschmidt N, Bairey O, Yuklea M, Shvidel L, Fineman R, Aviv A, Ruchlemer R, Braester A, Najib D, Rouvio O, Shaulov A, Greenbaum U, Polliack A, Tadmor T (2018) Hairy cell leukemia: retrospective analysis of demographic data and outcome of 203 patients from 12 medical centers in Israel. Anticancer Res. 38(11):6423–6429CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Öngören Ş, Eşkazan AE, Berk S, Elverdi T, Salihoğlu A, Ar MC, Başlar Z, Aydın Y, Tüzüner N, Soysal T (2017) Retrospective evaluation of hairy cell leukemia patients treated with three different first-line treatment modalities in the last two decades: a single-center experience. Turk J Haematol 34(4):291–299CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Maloisel F, Benboubker L, Gardembas M, Coiffier B, Divine M, Sebban C, Blanc M, Abgrall JF, Lederlin P, Harousseau JL, Blaise AM, Grosbois B, Morice P, Ghandour C, Castaigne S (2003) Long-term outcome with pentostatin treatment in hairy cell leukemia patients. A French retrospective study of 238 patients. Leukemia. 17(1):45–51CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Grever M, Kopecky K, Foucar MK, Head D, Bennett JM, Hutchison RE, Corbett WE, Cassileth PA, Habermann T, Golomb H (1995) Randomized comparison of pentostatin versus interferon alfa-2a in previously untreated patients with hairy cell leukemia: an intergroup study. J Clin Oncol 13(4):974–982CrossRefGoogle Scholar