The Japanese Breast Cancer Society clinical practice guideline for surgical treatment of breast cancer, 2015 edition
- 517 Downloads
In the Clinical Practice Guideline for Surgical Treatment of Breast Cancer, clinical questions (CQs) were divided into 6 categories: (1) breast-conserving therapy (BCT); (2) axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB); (3) less invasive treatments (endoscopic surgery and non-surgical ablation); (4) breast reconstruction; (5) surgical treatment for advanced and metastatic breast cancer; and (6) others.
Major revisions to the 2015 edition were as follows: positive surgical margins for breast-conserving surgery were defined as ink on invasive or in situ cancer in CQ3; SLNB using indocyanine green (ICG) fluorescence imaging was newly described in CQ10; and recommendations were updated for CQ18 and 28.
BCT refers to breast-conserving surgery (BCS), followed by radiation therapy (RT) to eradicate any microscopic residual disease. From 1972 to 1989, 6 randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) comparing BCT with mastectomy were...
KeywordsBreast Cancer Brain Metastasis Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Lymphedema Axillary Lymph Node Dissection
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Yoshinori Ito received lecture fees from Chugai, Esai, and Novartis and research grants from Novartis, Chugai, Parexel, Esai, Sanofi, Taiho, EPS, Dai-ichi-sankyo, and Boehringer-ingelheim. The other authors declared no potential conflicts of interest.
- 4.Clarke M, Collins R, Darby S, Davies C, Elphinstone P, Evans V, et al. Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group (EBCTCG). Effects of radiotherapy and of differences in the extent of surgery for early breast cancer on local recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet. 2005;366:2087–106.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Moran MS, Schnitt SJ, Giuliano AE, Harris JR, Khan SA, Horton J, et al. Society of Surgical Oncology; American Society for Radiation Oncology. Society of Surgical Oncology-American Society for Radiation Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in stages I and II invasive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32:1507–15.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Akashi-Tanaka S, Fukutomi T, Sato N, Iwamoto E, Watanabe T, Katsumata N, et al. The use of contrast-enhanced computed tomography before neoadjuvant chemotherapy to identify patients likely to be treated safely with breast-conserving surgery. Ann Surg. 2004;239:238–43.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Krag DN, Anderson SJ, Julian TB, Brown AM, Harlow SP, Constantino JP, et al. Sentinel lymph node resection compared with conventional axillary lymph node dissection in clinically node-negative patients with breast cancer: overall survival findings from the NSABP B-32 randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:927–33.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Yen TW, Hunt KK, Ross MI, Mirza NQ, Babiera GV, Meric-Bernstam F, et al. Predictors of invasive breast cancer in patients with an initial diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ: a guide to selective use of sentinel lymph node biopsy in management of ductal carcinoma in situ. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;200:516–26.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Galimberti V, Cole BF, Zurrida S, Viale G, Luini A, Veronesi P, International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 23-01 investigators, et al. Axillary dissection versus no axillary dissection in patients with sentinel-node micrometastases (IBCSG 23-01): a phase 3 randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14:297–305.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 29.Classe JM, Bordes V, Campion L, Mignotte H, Dravet F, Leveque J, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer: results of Ganglion Sentinelle et Chimiotherapie Neoadjuvante, a French prospective multicentric study. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:726–32.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Kitamura K, Iwase S, Kuroda Y, Yamaguchi T, Yamamoto D, Odagiri H, et al. A practice guideline for the management of lymphoedema. J Lymphoedema. 2011;6:60–71.Google Scholar
- 36.Ito T, Oura S, Yamamoto N, Nagamine S, Takahashi M, Tanino H, et al. Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of breast cancer: A multicenter retrospective analysis. J Clin Oncol 2012;30: suppl; abstr 1119.Google Scholar
- 40.Giacalone PL, Rathat G, Daures JP, Benos P, Azria D, Rouleau C. New concept for immediate breast reconstruction for invasive cancers: feasibility, oncological safety and esthetic outcome of post-neoadjuvant therapy immediate breast reconstruction versus delayed breast reconstruction: a prospective pilot study. Breast Cancer Treat. 2010;122:439–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar