Predictive value of FDG PET/CT for pathologic axillary node involvement after neoadjuvant chemotherapy
- First Online:
- 370 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to determine the usefulness of sequential FDG PET/CTs for prediction of axillary lymph node (ALN) status after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC).
Seventy-seven stage II or III breast cancer patients who received 3 cycles of neoadjuvant docetaxel/doxorubicin chemotherapy were enrolled in this prospective study. FDG PET/CTs were acquired before chemotherapy and after the first cycle of chemotherapy for early metabolic response prediction.
Patients with pN0 had significantly lower post-NAC ALN standard uptake value (SUV) than those who were pN+ (1.22 ± 1.46 in pN0 vs. 2.13 ± 1.99 in pN+, P = 0.017). Post-NAC ALN size on CT also differed according to pathologic ALN status (6.3 mm in pN0 vs. 11.1 mm in pN+, P = 0.014). When serial FDG PET/CT and chest CT were used, patients with an SUV > 1.5 and post-NAC ALN size ≥10 mm on CT did not achieve pN0 (specificity 100% and positive predictive value 100%).
The serial FDG PET/CT after NAC could predict the pathologic status of ALN before surgery in stage II/III breast cancer. Our findings suggest that the combined use of serial FDG PET/CTs and chest CT might provide better information regarding ALN before surgery.
Keywords18F-FDG PET Breast cancer Neoadjuvant chemotherapy Axillary node
- 19.Ueda S, Tsuda H, Asakawa H, Omata J, Fukatsu K, Kondo N, et al. Utility of 18F-fluoro-deoxyglucose emission tomography/computed tomography fusion imaging (18F-FDG PET/CT) in combination with ultrasonography for axillary staging in primary breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:165.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Keam B, Im SA, Kim HJ, Oh DY, Kim JH, Lee SH, et al. Prognostic impact of clinicopathologic parameters in stage II/III breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant docetaxel and doxorubicin chemotherapy: paradoxical features of the triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:203.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Greene F, Page D, Fleming I, Fritz A, Balch C, Haller D, et al. AJCC cancer staging manual, 6th edn. New York: Springer; 2002.Google Scholar
- 27.Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, et al. New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000;92:205–16.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Taira N, Ohsumi S, Takabatake D, Hara F, Takashima S, Aogi K, et al. Determination of indication for sentinel lymph node biopsy in clinical node-negative breast cancer using preoperative 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography fusion imaging. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2009;39:16–21.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar