Decorative near-infrared transmission filters featuring high-efficiency and angular-insensitivity employing 1D photonic crystals
- 47 Downloads
We present a new scheme for visibly-opaque but near-infrared-transmitting filters involving 7 layers based on one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals, with capabilities in reaching nearly 100% transmission efficiency in the near-infrared region. Different decorative reflection colors can be created by adding additional three layers while maintaining the near-infrared transmission performance. In addition, our proposed structural colors show great angular insensitivity up to ±60° for both transverse electric and transverse magnetic polarizations, which are highly desired in various fields. The facile strategy described here involves a simple deposition method for the fabrication, thereby having great potential in diverse applications such as image sensors, anti-counterfeit tag, and optical measurement systems.
Keywordsnear-infrared (NIR)-transmitting filters colored decorations photonic crystals multilayer structures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank the National Science Foundation Grant (No. CMMI-1727918) for the partial support of this work. C. G. J. acknowledges the support by Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant from the University of Michigan.
- Tucker, R. J. Visibly opaque infrared transmitting optical filter containing a combination of copper and vanadyl phthalocyanine sulfonamides. U.S. Patent 4,039,467, August 2, 1977.Google Scholar
- Momose, M.; Todokoro, A. Infrared transmissive thermoplastic composition, and articles formed therefrom. U.S. Patent 7,727,418, June 1, 2010.Google Scholar
- Sokar, A. A. Z.; Hutter, F. X.; Burghartz, J. N. Generation of red color and near infrared bandpass filters using nano-scale plasmonic structures. In Proceedings of SPIE 9502, Metamaterials X, Prague, Czech Republic, 2015, p 95020U.Google Scholar
- Orr, H. J. B.; Wallace, M.; Dalton, G. B. Near-infrared bandpass filters with improved transparency for 1000 nm spectral region using sputtered silicon compound films. In Proceedings of SPIE 7018, Advanced Optical and Mechanical Technologies in Telescopes and Instrumentation, Marseille, France, 2008, p 701830.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu, J. High performance infrared narrow band pass filters for infrared sensors and systems. In SENSOR + TEST Conference 2009, Nürnberg, Germany, 2009, pp 275–280.Google Scholar