Mesoporous Co3O4 as an electrocatalyst for water oxidation
- 2.8k Downloads
Mesoporous Co3O4 has been prepared using porous silica as a hard template via a nanocasting route and its electrocatalytic properties were investigated as an oxygen evolution catalyst for the electrolysis of water. The ordered mesostructured Co3O4 shows dramatically increased catalytic activity compared to that of bulk Co3O4. Enhanced catalytic activity was achieved with high porosity and surface area, and the water oxidation overpotential (η) of the ordered mesoporous Co3O4 decreases significantly as the surface area increases. The mesoporous Co3O4 also shows excellent structural stability in alkaline media. After 100 min under 0.8 V (versus Ag/AgCl) applied bias, the sample maintains the ordered mesoporous structure with little deactivation of the catalytic properties.
Keywordswater oxidation electrocatalyst ordered mesoporous materials nanocasting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
12274_2012_280_MOESM1_ESM.pdf (315 kb)
- Tüysüz, H.; Comotti, M.; Schüth, F. Ordered mesoporous Co3O4 as highly active catalyst for low temperature CO-oxidation. Chem. Commun. 2008, 4022–4024.Google Scholar
- Mellaerts, R.; Aerts, C. A.; Van Humbeeck, J.; Augustijns, P.; Van den Mooter, G.; Martens, J. A. Enhanced release of itraconazole from ordered mesoporous SBA-15 silica materials. Chem. Commun. 2007, 1375–1377.Google Scholar
- Macias-Sanchez, S. A.; Nava, R.; Hernandez-Morales, V.; Acosta-Silva, Y. J.; Gomez-Herrera, L.; Pawelec, B.; Al-Zahrani, S. M.; Navarro, R. M.; Fierro, J. L. G. Cd1−xZnxS solid solutions supported on ordered mesoporous silica (SBA-15): Structural features and photocatalytic activity under visible light. Int. J. Hydrog. Energy 2012, 37, 9948–9958.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda, S.; Takata, T.; Kondo, T.; Hitoki, G.; Hara, M.; Kondo, J. N.; Domen, K.; Hosono, H.; Kawazoe, H.; Tanaka, A. Mechano-catalytic overall water splitting. Chem. Commun. 1998, 2185–2186.Google Scholar
- Kim, H. G.; Hwang, D. W.; Kim, J.; Kim, Y. G.; Lee, J. S. Highly donor-doped (110) layered perovskite materials as novel photocatalysts for overall water splitting. Chem. Commun. 1999, 1077–1078.Google Scholar
- Kleitz, F.; Choi, S. H.; Ryoo, R. Cubic Ia3d large mesoporous silica: Synthesis and replication to platinum nanowires, carbon nanorods and carbon nanotubes. Chem. Commun. 2003, 2136–2137.Google Scholar
- Tüysüz, H.; Lehmann, C. W.; Bongard, H.; Tesche, B.; Schmidt, R.; Schüth, F. Direct imaging of surface topology and pore system of ordered mesoporous silica (MCM-41, SBA-15, and KIT-6) and nanocast metal oxides by high resolution scanning electron microscopy. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 11510–11517.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
© Tsinghua University Press and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013