Fluorophore-photochrome co-embedded polymer nanoparticles for photoswitchable fluorescence bioimaging
- 630 Downloads
Photoswitchable polymer nanoparticles (ps-PNPs) have been constructed by emulsion polymerization through embedding an iridium(III) complex, [Ir(bt)2(pic)](bt = phenylbenzothiazole, pic = picolinate), as a fluorophore and a diarylethene derivative (DTE) as a photochrome. The ps-PNPs show reversible luminescence modulation with DTE switching using UV light in aqueous solution and even in living cells. Such luminescent modulation only occurred in polymer nanoparticles and not in a simple mixed solution with low concentrations of [Ir(bt)2(pic)] and DTE. The ps-PNPs displayed good cellular uptake and fast intracellular luminescence modulation by photoswitching, indicating the nanoparticles could be developed as photoswitchable luminescent probes for a diversity of bioimaging applications.
KeywordsPhotoswithable imaging polymer nanoparticles fluorophore-photochrome living cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
12274_2012_235_MOESM1_ESM.pdf (387 kb)
- Zhou, Z. G.; Hu, H.; Yang, H.; Yi, T.; Huang, K. W.; Yu, M. X.; Li, F. Y.; Huang, C. H. Up-conversion luminescent switch based on photochromic diarylethene and rare earth nanophosphors. Chem. Commun. 2008, 4786–4788.Google Scholar
- Wang, S.; Shen, W.; Feng Y. L.; Tian, H. A multiple switching bisthienylethene and its photochromic fluorescent organogelator. Chem. Commun. 2006, 1497–1499.Google Scholar
- Tian, H.; Wang, S. Photochromic bisthienylethene as multi-function switches. Chem. Commun. 2007, 781–792.Google Scholar
- Pu, S. Z.; Luo, F. S.; Wang R. J.; Yang, T. S. 1-(2,5-Dimethyl-3-thienyl)-3,3,4,4,5,5-hexafluoro-2-(5-formyl-2-methyl-3-thienyl)cyclopent-1-ene: A new photochromic diarylethene compound. Acta Cryst. 2006, E62, o1194–o1196.Google Scholar
- Van Der Meer, B. W.; Coker, G.; Chen, S. Y. S. Resonance Energy Transfer: Theory and Data; VCH: New York, 1994.Google Scholar
© Tsinghua University Press and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012