Magnetite/reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites: One step solvothermal synthesis and use as a novel platform for removal of dye pollutants
- 6k Downloads
A simple one step solvothermal strategy using non-toxic and cost-effective precursors has been developed to prepare magnetite/reduced graphene oxide (MRGO) nanocomposites for removal of dye pollutants. Taking advantage of the combined benefits of graphene and magnetic nanoparticles, these MRGO nanocomposites exhibit excellent removal efficiency (over 91% for rhodamine B and over 94% for malachite green) and rapid separation from aqueous solution by an external magnetic field. Interestingly, the performance of the MRGO composites is strongly dependent on both the loading of Fe3O4 and the pH value. In addition, the adsorption behavior of this new adsorbent fits well with the Freundlich isotherm and the pseudo-second-order kinetic model. In further applications, real samples—including industrial waste water and lake water—have been treated using the MRGO composites. All the results demonstrate that the MRGO composites are effective adsorbents for removal of dye pollutants and thus could provide a new platform for dye decontamination.
KeywordsMagnetic nanoparticles graphene nanocomposites dye pollutants removal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hunger, K. Industrial Dyes: Chemistry, Properties, Applications; Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, Germany, 2003.Google Scholar
- Ai, K. L.; Liu, Y. L.; Lu, L. H.; Cheng, X. L.; Huo, L. H. A novel strategy for making soluble graphene sheets cheaply by adopting an endogenous reducing agent. J. Mater. Chem., in press, DOI:10.1039/C0JM02865G.Google Scholar
- Warren, B. E. X-ray Diffraction; Addison-Wesley: London, 1969.Google Scholar
- McAllister, M. J.; Li, J. L.; Adamson, D. H.; Schniepp, H. C.; Abdala, A. A.; Liu, J.; Herrera-Alonso, M.; Milius, D. L.; Car, R.; Prud’homme, R. K.; Aksay, I. A. Single sheet functionalized graphene by oxidation and thermal expansion of graphite. Chem. Mater. 2007, 19, 4396–4404.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freundlich, H. M. F. Über die Adsorption in Lösungen. Z. Phys. Chem. 1906, 57A, 385–470.Google Scholar