New limonophyllines A-C from the stem of Atalantia monophylla and cytotoxicity against cholangiocarcinoma and HepG2 cell lines
- 302 Downloads
Three new limonoids, limonophyllines A-C (1, 4 and 5), along with two known limonoids (2 and 3) and 11 acridone alkaloids (6-16) were isolated from the stems of Atalantia monophylla. All isolates were evaluated against cholangiocarcinoma, KKU-M156, and HepG2 cancer cell lines. Compounds 12, 14 and 16 displayed cytotoxicity against KKU-M156 cell line with IC50 ranging from 3.39 to 4.1 μg/mL while cytotoxicity against HepG2 cell line with IC50 ranging from 1.43 to 8.4 μg/mL. The structures of all isolated compounds were established by spectroscopic methods including 1D and 2D NMR, IR and mass spectrometry.
KeywordsAtalantia monophylla Limonophylline Acridones Cholangiocarcinoma HepG2
We thank the Science Achievement Scholarship of Thailand (SAST) for the support to A. Sombatsri. We acknowledge the Thai Research Fund (RSA5980022) and Khon Kaen University for financial support. The Center of Excellence for Innovation in Chemistry (PERCH-CIC), Office of the Higher Education Commission, Ministry of Education is gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to report.
- Bunyapraphatsara N (1999) Traditional Herb. Prachachon Print 3:568Google Scholar
- Chansriniyom C, Ruangrungsi N, Lipipun V, Kumamoto T, Ishikawa T (2009) Isolation of acridone alkaloids and N-[(4-monoterpenyloxy)phenylethyl]-substituted sulfur-containing propanamide derivatives from Glycosmis parva and their anti-herpes simplex virus activity. Chem Pharm Bul 57:1246–1250CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Panda H (2004) Handbook on medicinal herbs with uses. Asia Pacific Business Press Inc, Delhi, pp 166–167Google Scholar
- Saraswathy A, Balakrishna K, Rao RB, Allirani T, Patra A, Pichai R (1998) Carpachromene from Atalantia monophylla. Fitoterapia 69:463–464Google Scholar
- Talapatra SK, Bhattacharya S, Talapatra B (1970) Terpenoid and related compounds. VI. Terpenoid and coumarin constituents of Atalantia monophylla. J Indian Chem Soc 47:600–604Google Scholar