Phenolic compounds with IL-6 inhibitory activity from Aster yomena
A new biflavonoid, named asteryomenin (1), as well as six known phenolic compounds, esculetin (2), 4-O-β-d-glucopyranoside-3-hydroxy methyl benzoate (3), caffeic acid (4), isoquercitrin (5), isorhamnetin-3-O-glucoside (6), and apigenin (7) were isolated from the aerial parts of Aster yomena. The structures of compounds (1–7) were identified based on 1D and 2D NMR, including 1H–1H COSY, HSQC, HMBC and NOESY spectroscopic analyses. Compounds 2–7 were isolated from this plant for the first time. For these isolates, the inhibitory activity of IL-6 production in the TNF-α stimulated MG-63 cell was examined. Among these isolates, compounds 4 and 7 appeared to have potent inhibitory activity of IL-6 production in the TNF-α stimulated MG-63 cell, while compounds 1–3 and 5–6 showed moderate activity.
KeywordsAster yomena Makino Asteraceae Asteryomenin IL-6 inhibitory activity
This research was supported by the Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2012R1A1A3005531).
- Ahn, D.K. 1998. Illustrated Book of Korean Medicinal Herbs. Seoul: Kyo-Hak Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ersöz, T., U.S. Harput, I. Saracoglu, and I. Çalis. 2002. Phenolic compounds from Scutellaria pontica. Turkish Journal of Chemistry 26: 581–588.Google Scholar
- Hirano, T., K. Yasukawa, H. Harada, T. Taga, Y. Watanabe, T. Matsuda, S. Kashiwamura, K. Nakajima, K. Koyama, A. Iwamatsu, S. Tsunsawa, F. Sakiyama, H. Matsui, Y. Takahara, T. Taniguchi, and T. Kishimoto. 1986. Complementary DNA for a novel human interleukin (BSF-2) that induced lymphocytes to produce immunoglobulin. Nature 324: 73–76.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kwon, Y.S., H.M. Won, and C.M. Kim. 2000. Flavonoids from Indigofera pseudo-tinctoria Stem. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy 31: 280–283.Google Scholar
- Lee, T.B. 1993. Illustrated Flora of Korea. Seoul: Hyang-Moon Publishing.Google Scholar
- Omar, H.S., H.A. El -Beshbishy, Z. Moussa, K.F. Taha, and A.N.B. Singab. 2011. Antioxidant activity of Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam. (Jack Fruit) leaf extracts: remarkable attenuations of hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. The Scientific World Journal 11: 788–800.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Damme, J., G. Opdenakker, R.J. Simpson, M.R. Rubira, S. Cayphas, A. Vink, A. Billiau, and J. Van Snick. 1987. Identification of the human 26-kD protein, interferon beta 2(IFN-beta 2), as a B cell hybridoma/plasmacytoma growth factor induced in interleukin 1 and tumor necrosis factor. Journal of Experimental Medicine 165: 914–919.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu, Z.-H., G.-W. Qin, X.-Y. Li, and R.-S. Xu. 2001. New biflavanones and bioactive compounds from Stellera chamaejasme L. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica 36: 668–671.Google Scholar