Fimasartan, a novel angiotensin II receptor antagonist
- 609 Downloads
Fimasartan (Kanarb®), an angiotensin II receptor antagonist with selectivity for the AT1 receptor subtype, is a pyrimidinone-related heterocyclic compound that was developed by Boryung Pharm. Co., Ltd. Among numerous synthetic derivatives, fimasartan was chosen as a new drug candidate through in vitro and in vivo screening studies. Pharmadynamic-pharmacokinetic properties and safety profiles were determined in a series of nonclinical and clinical studies. Fimasartan is a new angiotensin receptor blocker, and the first new molecular entity acting on cardiovascular system approved by Korean Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of essential hypertension in September 2010. Further development process for combination therapy and overseas registration is currently ongoing.
KeywordsLosartan Telmisartan Olmesartan Eprosartan Saralasin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chi, Y. H., Lee, H., Paik, S. H., Lee, J. H., Yoo, B. W., Kim, J. H., Than, H. K., and Kim, S. L., Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of fimasartan following single and repeated oral administration in the fasted and fed states in healthy subjects. Am. J. Cardiovasc. Drugs. 11, 335–346 (2011).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim, T. W., Yoo, B. W., Lee, J. K., Kim, J. H., Lee, K. T., Chi, Y. H., and Lee, J. Y., Synthesis and antihypertensive activity of pyrimidin-4(3H)-one derivatives as losartan analogue for new angiotensin II receptor type 1 (AT1) antagonists. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 22, 1649–1654 (2012).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- KNHNES. The First-year Report of the Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (2011).Google Scholar
- Lee, H., Yang, H. M., Lee, H. Y., Kim, J. J., Choi, D. J., Seung, K. B., Jeon, E. S., Ha, J. W., Rim, S. J., Park, J. B., Shin, J. H., and Oh, B. H., Efficacy and tolerability of once-daily oral fimasartan 20 to 240 mg/d in korean patients with hypertension: Findings from two phase II, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies. Clin. Ther., 34, 1273–1289 (2012a).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee, S. E., Kim, Y. J., Lee, H. Y., Yang, H. M., Park, C. G., Kim, J. J., Kim, S. K., Rhee, M. Y., and Oh, B. H., Efficacy and tolerability of fimasartan, a new angiotensin receptor blocker, compared with losartan (50/100 mg): a 12-week, phase III, multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, dose escalation clinical trial with an optional 12-week extension phase in adult Korean patients with mild-to-moderate hypertension. Clin. Ther., 34, 552–568 (2012b).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar