Aromatic compounds from the halotolerant fungal strain of Wallemia sebi PXP-89 in a hypersaline medium
- 250 Downloads
A new cyclopentanopyridine alkaloid, 3-hydroxy-5-methyl-5,6-dihydro-7H-cyclopenta[b]pyridin-7-one (1), together with 11 known aromatic compounds were isolated from the secondary metabolites of the halotolerant fungal strain Wallemia sebi PXP-89 in 10% NaCl. Their structures including the absolute configurations of (2S,3S)-1-(4-hydroxyphenyl)butane-2,3-diol (2), (2R,3S)-1-(4-hydroxyphenyl)butane-2,3-diol (3), and (S)-3-hydroxy-4-(4-hydroxyphenyl)-2-one (4) were elucidated by spectroscopic analysis and a modified Mosher’s method. Compound 1 exhibited antimicrobial activity against Enterobacter aerogenes with a MIC of 76.7 μM. The absolute configurations of compounds 2–4 were determined for the first time.
Key wordsHalotolerant fungus Wallemia sebi Antibacterial activity Cyclopentanopyridine alkaloid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Awano, K.-I., Yanai, T., Watanabe, I., Takagi, Y., Kitahara, T., and Mori, K., Volatile components of Wisteria flowers. Part II. Synthesis of all four possible stereoisomers of 1-phenyl-2,3-butanediol and both enantiomers of 3-hydroxy -4-phenyl-2-butanone to determine the absolute configuration of the natural constituents. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem., 59, 1251–1254 (1995).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kusumi, T. and Ohtani, I., Determination of the absolute configuration of biologically active compounds by the modified Mosher’s method. In Cooper, R. and Snyder, J. K. (Eds.). The Biology-Chemistry Interface. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 103, (1999).Google Scholar
- Sandham, D. A., Barker, L., Beattie, D., Beer, D., Bidlake, L., Bentley, D., Butler, K. D., Craig, S., Farr, D., Ffoulkes-Jones, C., Fozard, J. R., Haberthuer, S., Howes, C., Hynx, D., Jeffers, S., Keller, T. H., Kirkham, P. A., Maas, J. C., Mazzoni, L., Nicholls, A., Pilgrim, G. E., Schaebulin, E., Spooner, G. M., Stringer, R., Tranter, P., Turner, K. L., Tweed, M. F., Walker, C., Watson, S. J., and Cuenoud, B. M., Synthesis and biological properties of novel glucocorticoid androstene C-17 furoate esters. Bioorg. Med. Chem., 12, 5213–5224 (2004).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Thornton, D. A. and Jones, M. E. B., GB 948494 (1964).Google Scholar
- Yuki, K., Yasuo, Y., David, B., and Justin B. S., WO 2009046370 (2009).Google Scholar