Anti-inflammatory effect of visnagin in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated BV-2 microglial cells
- 256 Downloads
Visnagin, which is found in Ammi visnaga, has biological activity as a vasodilator and reduces blood pressure by inhibiting calcium influx into the cell. The present study demonstrates the anti-inflammatory effect of visnagin on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated BV-2 microglial cells. When cells were treated with visnagin prior to LPS stimulation, production of nitric oxide and expression of iNOS were attenuated in a dose-dependent manner. Visnagin also caused a significant decrease of mRNA expression and release of TNF-α, IL-1β and IFNγ. In addition, visnagin reduced LPS-induced IL-6 and MCP-1 mRNA level. We further found that visnagin dose-dependently inhibited LPS-induced AP-1 and NF-κB luciferase activities. Taken together, our results for the first time suggest that the anti-inflammatory effect of visnagin might result from the inhibition of transcription factors, such as AP-1 and NF-κB.
Key wordsAnti-inflammation Microglial cells Visnagin Inducible nitric oxide synthase AP-1 NF-κB
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Candelario-Jalil, E., De Oliveira, A. C., Graf, S., Bhatia, H. S., Hull, M., Munoz, E., and Fiebich, B. L., Resveratrol potently reduces prostaglandin E2 production and free radical formation in lipopolysaccharide-activated primary rat microglia. J. Neuroinflammation, 4, 25 (2007).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chen, J. C., Ho, F. M., Pei-Dawn Lee, C., Chen, C. P., Jeng, K. C., Hsu, H. B., Lee, S. T., Wen Tung, W., and Lin, W. W., Inhibition of iNOS gene expression by quercetin is mediated by the inhibition of IkappaB kinase, nuclear factorkappa B and STAT1, and depends on heme oxygenase-1 induction in mouse BV-2 microglia. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 521, 9–20 (2005).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chu, S. C., Marks-Konczalik, J., Wu, H. P., Banks, T. C., and Moss, J., Analysis of the cytokine-stimulated human inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) gene: characterization of differences between human and mouse iNOS promoters. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 248, 871–878 (1998).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Park, S. H., Kang, J. S., Yoon, Y. D., Lee, K., Kim, K. J., Lee, K. H., Lee, C. W., Moon, E. Y., Han, S. B., Kim, B. H., Kim, H. M., and Park, S. K., Glabridin inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced activation of a microglial cell line, BV-2, by blocking NF-kappaB and AP-1. Phytother. Res., 24Suppl 1, S29–S34 (2010).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yang, X., Du, L., Tang, X., Jung, S. Y., Zheng, B., Soh, B. Y., Kim, S. Y., Gu, Q., and Park, H., Brevicompanine E reduces lipopolysaccharide-induced production of proinflammatory cytokines and enzymes in microglia by inhibiting activation of activator protein-1 and nuclear factorkappaB. J. Neuroimmunol., 216, 32–38 (2009).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar