The Incidence of Agenesis of Palmaris Longus Muscle Among Multiracial Medical Students of University Malaya, Malaysia
- 1 Downloads
Palmaris longus (PL) is the most superficial flexor muscle of the wrist. Agenesis of this muscle does not result in disability but its presence plays a significant role in reconstructive plastic surgery as a donor tendon for grafting. The awareness of the incidence of PL occurrence in a population is therefore desirable. In the present study, 457 multiracial medical students (220 Malays, 198 Chinese and 39 Indians) of University of Malaya, Malaysia, ages between 18 to 22 years, were examined for the presence or absence of the PL tendon using Schaeffer’s test. This study demonstrated the overall difference in occurrence rate of PL among the multiracial students which indirectly represent its overall pattern in Malaysian population, as the students originate from various states of this country. The data collected were then analyzed using non-parametric test to determine pattern of occurrence and incidence of agenesis of this muscle with regard to ethnicity, laterality, and gender. The highest incidence of unilateral and bilateral PL agenesis was observed in Indian students despite being the smallest race among the three groups studied. This study contradicts with previous findings that concluded Malays to be the group with the highest incidence of unilateral PL agenesis. This contradiction therefore justifies the need to construct a larger cohort study, which covers more diverse ethnic groups in Malaysia including the indigenous groups in Sabah and Sarawak to obtain the true incidence rate of PL agenesis in Malaysia.
KeywordsSurgery Anatomy Palmaris longus Upper limb Tendon
The study conception and design were contributed by Normadiah M Kassim and Siti Rosmani Md Zin. Material preparation and data collection were performed by Siti Rosmani Md Zin, Intan Suhana Zulkafli, Rasheeda Mohd Zamin, and Muhammad Amri Salim. The data was analyzed by Intan Suhana Zulkafli and Mahmoud Danaee. The first draft of the manuscript was written by Siti Rosmani Md Zin, Intan Suhana Zulkafli, and Rasheeda Mohd Zamin. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Jeyaseelan N, Lin WM, Kadir SYA, Brandon GJF, Azizi AB, Kalaji SM, Singh HST, Ramaiah Y, Retnabrabagaran SP (2015) Variations in the absence of the palmaris longus muscle in a multiethnic population of Malaysia: an epidemiological study. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 14(10):2279–2861. https://doi.org/10.9790/0853-14104117122 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Moore KL, Dalley AF, Agur AM (2013) Clinically oriented anatomy. Lippincott Williams & WilkinsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Snell RS (2011) Clinical anatomy by regions. Lippincott Williams & WilkinsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Nasiri E, Pourghasem M, Moladoust H (2016) The prevalence of absence of the palmaris longus muscle tendon in the North of Iran: a comparative study. Iran Red Crescent Med J 18(3)Google Scholar
- 8.Soltani AM, Peric M, Francis CS, Nguyen T-TJ, Chan LS, Ghiassi A, Stevanovic MV, Wong AK (2012) The variation in the absence of the palmaris longus in a multiethnic population of the United States: an epidemiological study Plast Surg Int:2012Google Scholar
- 9.Hussain FN, Hasan T (2012) Prevalence of congenital absence of palmaris longus tendon in young Jizani population of Saudi Arabia: a cross sectional study. Pakistan J Med SciGoogle Scholar
- 11.Thompson N, Mockford B, Cran G (2001) Absence of the palmaris longus muscle: a population study. Ulst Med J 70(1):22Google Scholar
- 17.Thidar AM, Myint TT, Naing DKS, Mustapha ZA (2013) Palmaris longus agenesis (PLA) among Dusun & Bajau ethnic groups of Northern Borneo. Int J Collab Res Intern Med Public Health 5(6):386Google Scholar
- 22.Mugalur A, Shahane SM, Samant A, Pathak AC, Patil A, Reddy R (2015) Anatomic variation of palmaris longus and flexor digitorum superficialis of little finger in Indian population. SICOT-J 1Google Scholar
- 24.Malaysia DoS (2018) Population and demography. https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index.php?r=column/cone&menu_id=Nk1JZnJBMm1TdmRFS0xaTXZnanIrQT09. Accessed 13th September 2018 2018