Application of Transcription Factor-based 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid Biosensor
- 58 Downloads
Application of the recently developed wholecell 3-HP biosensor, which detects 3-hydroxypropionic acid (3-HP) and expresses fluorescence as an output signal in response to the 3-HP concentration, was studied in three areas of enzyme and metabolic engineering. First, a sensor was applied to identify active 3-hydroxyaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), a key enzyme in the 3-HP production pathway. Second, with the aid of helper enzymes that catalyze the conversion of 1,3-propanediol (1,3-PDO) to 3-HP, a 3-HP biosensor was converted into a 1,3-PDO biosensor. Third, a 3-HP biosensor, with proper modifications in expression module of the output signal and the use of pH-tolerant red fluorescent protein (RFP), was shown to monitor the rate of 3-HP production under process conditions in which one or more interfering compounds are present in the culture medium and/or the medium pH decreases. This study demonstrates that 3-HP biosensors can be widely used in enzyme and metabolic engineering applications for 3-HP production.
Keywordsbiosensor 3-hydroxypropionic acid 1,3-propanediol high-throughput screening Pseudomonas denitrificans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Lee, M. E., A. Aswani, A. S. Han, C. J. Tomlin, and J. E. Dueber (2013) Expression-level optimization of a multi-enzyme pathway in the absence of a high-throughput assay Nucleic Acids Res. 41: 10668–10678.Google Scholar
- 20.Park, Y. S., U. J. Choi, N. H. Nam, S. J. Choi, A. Nasir, S. G. Lee, K. J. Kim, G. Y. Jung, S. Choi, J. Y. Shim, S. Park, and T. H. Yoo (2017) Engineering an aldehyde dehydrogenase toward its substrates, 3-hydroxypropanal and NAD+, for enhancing the production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid. Sci. Rep. 7: 17155.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Nakamura, C. E. (2000) Method for the production of 1,3 propanediol by recombinant microorganisms. US Patent 6,013,494.Google Scholar
- 28.Shaner, N. C., P. A Steinbach, and R. Y. Tsien (2005) A guide to choosing fluorescent proteins Nat. Methods 2: 905–909.Google Scholar
- 30.Park, S. Development of 3-hydroxypropionic acid inducible promoter system and construction of biological 3-hydroxypropionic acid production pathway using these promoter systems. European Patent PCT/KR2016/006261.Google Scholar