An organic solvent-tolerant alkaline lipase from Streptomyces sp. CS268 and its application in biodiesel production
- First Online:
- 358 Downloads
In an effort to identify a microbial lipase that can catalyze transesterification reactions used in biodiesel production, an organic solvent-tolerant lipase was purified from Streptomyces sp. CS268. The molecular weight of the purified lipase was estimated to be 37.5 kDa by SDS-PAGE. The lipase showed highest activity at a temperature of 30°C and pH 8.0 while it was stable in the pH range 4.0 ∼ 9.0 and at temperatures ≤ 50°C. It showed the highest hydrolytic activity towards medium-length acyl chain p-nitrophenyl decanoate with Km and Vmax values of 0.59 mM and 319.5 mmol/mg/min, respectively. Also, the lipase showed non-position specificity for triolein hydrolysis. The purified lipase catalyzed transesterification reaction of soybean oil with methanol, suggesting that it can be a potential enzymatic catalyst for biodiesel production.
Keywordsmicrobial lipase organic solvent-tolerant Streptomyces biodiesel production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Demirbas, A. (2008) Biodiesel: A realistic fuel alternative for diesel engines. Springer Publishing Company, London, UK.Google Scholar
- 9.Winkler, U. K. and M. Stuckmann (1979) Glycogen, hyaluronate and some other polysaccharides greatly enhance the formation of exolipase by Serratia marcescens. J. Bacteriol. 138: 663–670.Google Scholar
- 13.Sommer, P., C. Bormann, and F. Gotz (1997) Genetic and biochemical characterization of a new extracellular lipase from Streptomyces cinnamomeus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63: 3553–3560.Google Scholar
- 21.Lee, D. W., H. W. Kim, K. W. Lee, B. C. Kim, E. A. Choe, H. S. Lee, D. S. Kim, and Y. R. Pyun (2001) Purification and characterization of two distinct thermostable lipases from the gram-positive thermophilic bacterium Bacillus thermoleovorans ID-1. Enz. Microb. Technol. 29: 363–371.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cho, S. S., D. J. Park, J. R. Simkhada, J. H. Hong, J. K. Song, O. H. Lee, and J. C. Yoo (2011) A neutral lipase applicable in biodiesel production from a newly isolated Streptomyces sp. CS326. Bioproc. Biosyst. Eng. DOI 10.1007/s00449-001-0598-8.Google Scholar