The effects of betonicine, floridoside, and isethionic acid from the red alga Ahnfeltiopsis flabelliformis on quorum-sensing activity
- 312 Downloads
A mixture of three compounds (betonicine, floridoside, and isethionic acid) purified from the red alga Ahnfeltiopsis flabelliformis, was reported to have an inhibition activity on bacterial quorum sensing mechanism mediated by Noctanoyl-dl-homoserine lactone (OHL) and the TraR transcriptional activator protein. We subsequently conducted a more detailed investigation of the three compounds using chemically synthesized (betonicine and floridoside) or commercially available (isethionic acid) compounds, individually or in various combinations. When tested alone, none of the three compounds inhibited OHL, but a mixture of floridoside and isethionic acid exhibited a dose-dependent inhibitory effect on the function of OHL. In contrast, betonicine or its isomer exhibited a dose-dependent stimulatory effect, similar to OHL, at concentrations between 10−3 and 10−6 M. These three compounds will be useful for elucidating the interaction between OHL and TraR, and for developing novel bacterial quorum-sensing inhibitors.
Keywordsquorum-sensing inhibitor AHL inhibitor Ahnfeltiopsis flabelliformis Agrobacterium tumefaciens betonicine floridoside isethionic acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Zhu, J., J. W. Beaber, M. I. More, C. Fuqua, A. Eberhard, and S. C. Winans (1998) Analogs of the autoinducer 3-oxooctanoyl-homoserine lactone strongly inhibit activity of the TraR protein of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. J. Bacteriol. 180: 5398–5405.Google Scholar
- 10.Gram, L., R. De Nys, R. Maximilien, M. Givskov, P. Steinberg, and S. Kjelleberg (1996) Inhibitory effects of secondary metabolites from the red alga Delisea pulchra on swarming motility of Proteus mirabilis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62: 4284–4287.Google Scholar
- 11.Rasmussen, T. B., M. Manefield, J. B. Andersen, L. Eberl, U. Anthoni, C. Christophersen, P. Steinberg, S. Kjelleberg, and M. Givskov (2000) How Delisea pulchra furanones affect quorum sensing and swarming motility in Serratia liquefaciens MG1. Microbiology 146: 3237–3244.Google Scholar
- 17.Fuqua, C. and S. C. Winans (1996) Conserved cis-acting promoter elements are required for density-dependent transcription of Agrobacterium tumefaciens conjugal transfer genes. J. Bacteriol. 178: 435–440.Google Scholar
- 24.Hentzer, M. and M. Givskov (2003) Pharmacological inhibition of quorum sensing for the treatment of chronic bacterial infections. J. Clin. Invest. 112: 1300–1307.Google Scholar