Aggressive lymphoma: news on ASH 2014
- 60 Downloads
This article reviews the most important news at American Society of Hematology (ASH) 2014 for the clinician. A validated risk model for central nervous system (CNS) relapse after rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone (R-CHOP) defined a low, intermediate, and a high risk group. The latter with a CNS-relapse risk of 12 %. Interim positron emission tomography (PET) imaging and different treatment strategies for positive disease were highly prognostic for an unfavorable prognosis. However, the salvage strategies for these patients were not successful. The role of radiotherapy was clarified in a randomized trial of non-bulky stage I or II disease. It was not possible to demonstrate an event-free (EFS) and overall (OS) survival benefit for radiation after 4–6 R-CHOP cycles. Unfortunately ofatumomab was not superior to rituximab in combination with DHAP in relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).
KeywordsDiffuse large B-cell lymphoma CNS Relapse Radiation Limited stage
Conflict of interest
Michael A. Fridrik declares that there are no actual or potential conflicts of interest in relation to this article.
- 1.Savage KJ, Zeynalova S, Kansara RR, Nickelsen M, Villa D, Sehn LH, et al. Validation of a prognostic model to assess the risk of CNS disease in patients with aggressive B-cell lymphoma. 2014.Google Scholar
- 2.Duehrsen U, HÃ¼ttmann A, MÃ¼ller S, Hertenstein B, Kotzerke Jr, Mesters R, et al. Positron emission tomography (PET) guided therapy of aggressive lymphomas—a randomized controlled trial comparing different treatment approaches based on interim PET results (PETAL Trial). 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.Sehn LH, Hardy ELG, Gill KK, Al-Tourah AJ, Shustik J, Macpherson NA, et al. Phase 2 trial of interim pet scan-tailored therapy in patients with advanced stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) in British Columbia (BC). 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Lamy T, Damaj G, Gyan E, Soubeyran P, Bouabdallah K, Cartron G, et al. R-CHOP with or without radiotherapy in non-bulky limited-stage diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL): preliminary results of the prospective randomized phase III 02–03 trial from the Lysa/Goelams group. 2014.Google Scholar
- 5.van Imhoff GW, McMillan A, Matasar MJ, Radford J, Ardeshna KM, Kuliczkowski K, et al. Ofatumumab versus rituximab salvage chemoimmunotherapy in relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: the Orcharrd study (OMB110928). 2014.Google Scholar