The role of biomarkers in the choice of therapy in breast cancer
- 72 Downloads
The discovery of prognostic and predictive biomarkers, enabling the application of more individualized therapies to different molecular breast cancer (BC) subtypes, has already led to changes in BC treatment during the past decades. In this review, the importance of established as well as of emerging biomarkers, currently undergoing testing for technical validity and clinical utility, is discussed.
KeywordsBreast cancer Biomarker Prognostic Predictive
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this article.
- 12.Hinestrosa MC, Dickersin K, Klein P, et al. Shaping the future of biomarker research in breast cancer to ensure clinical relevance. Nature. 2007;7:309–15.Google Scholar
- 22.Viale G, Regan MM, Maiorano E, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in a randomized trial comparing letrozole and tamoxifen adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal early breast cancer: BIG 1-98. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(25):3846–52.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Luprsi E, Andre F, Spyratos F, et al. KI 67: level of evidence and methodological considerations for its role in the clinical management of breast cancer: analytical and critical review. BC Res Treat. 2011.Google Scholar
- 27.Albain KS, Barlow WE, Shak S, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11(1):55–65.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Dowsett M, Cuzick J, Wale C, et al. Prediction of risk of distant recurrence using the 21-gene recurrence score in node-negative and node-positive postmenopausal patients with breast cancer treated with anastrozole or tamoxifen: a TransATAC study. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(11):1829–34.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Macis D, Cazzaniga M, De Censi A, et al. Role of traditional and new biomarkers in breast cancer carcinogenesis. ecancer. 2009;3:157.Google Scholar