Adjuvant chemotherapy in stage IB non-small cell lung cancer: if, when, how?
- 31 Downloads
Adjuvant chemotherapy is established as a standard of care for resectable non-small cell lung cancer. However, this indication remains controversial for the stage IB as the results of the randomized trials and meta-analysis are obscuring on this issue. Moreover, the updated international guidelines do not prescribe the regular use of this strategy in stage IB. The aim of this paper is to review the current evidences regarding the benefit of adjuvant CT in this setting, and to provide clinical hints, which can lend a helping hand to the clinicians and their patients to take the right decision in this particular scenario.
KeywordsAdjuvant chemotherapy Stage IB Risk factors NSCLC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pisters K, Evans W, Azzoli C, et al. Cancer care ontario and American society of clinical oncology adjuvant chemotherapy and adjuvant radiation therapy for stage I-IIIA resectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline. J Clin Oncol, 2007; DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2007.14.1226. (http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/doi/10.1200/jco.2007.14.1226)
- Pignon JP, Tribodet H, Scagliotti GV, et al. Lung Adjuvant Cisplatin Evaluation (LACE): a pooled analysis of five randomized clinical trials including 4 584 patients. J Clin Oncol, 24(Suppl 18): 366s, 2006 (abstract 7008)Google Scholar
- Stewart LA, Burdett S, Tierney JF, et al. Surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy (CT) compared to surgery alone in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a meta-analysis using individual patient data (IPD) from randomized clinical trials (RCT). J Clin Oncol, 25: 397s, 2007 (abstract 7552)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Douillard J-Y, Rosell R, De Lena M, et al. Adjuvant vinorelbine plus cisplatin versus observation in patients with completely resected stage IB-IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer (Adjuvant Navelbine International Trialist Association [ANITA]): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 7: 719–727, 2006PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Strauss GM, Herndon J, Maddaus MA, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy in Stage IB non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): update of cancer and leukemia group B (CALGB) Protocol 9633. J Clin Oncol, 24 (Suppl 18): 365s, 2006Google Scholar
- Nakagawa M, Tanaka F, Tsubota N, et al. A randomized phase III trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with UFT for completely resected pathological stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: The West Japan study group for lung cancer surgery (WJSG), the 4th study. Ann Oncol, 16: 75–80, 2005PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Groome P, Bolejack V, Crowley J, et al. The IASLC lung cancer staging project: validation of the proposals for revision of the T,N, and M descriptors and consequent stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM classification of the malignant tumors. J Thorac Oncol, 2: 694–705, 2007PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sculier JP. IASLC staging project: prognostic factors. J Thorac Oncol, 2: S229–S230, 2007Google Scholar
- Ardizzoni A, Tiseo M, Boni L, et al. CISCA (cisplatin vs. carboplatin) meta-analysis: An individual patient data meta-analysis comparing cisplatin versus carboplatin-based chemotherapy in first-line treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 24: 366s, 2006Google Scholar
- Fumoleau P, Bremond A, Kerbrat P, et al. for the French Adjuvant Study Group. Better outcome of premenopausal node positive (N+) breast cancer treated with 6 cycles vs. 3 cycles of adjuvant chemotherapy: eight year follow up results of FASG 01. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol, 18: A 252, 1999Google Scholar
- Bepler G, Li X, Sharma A, et al. Clinical value of tumoral RRM1 and ERCC1 expression for treatment response and therapeutic decisions in NSCLC. ASCO Educational Book. Alexandria: M. Perry, pp. 431–433, 2006Google Scholar