Pim-2 Cooperates with Downstream Factor XIAP to Inhibit Apoptosis and Intensify Malignant Grade in Prostate Cancer
- 101 Downloads
To find the exact downstream effector of Pim-2 pathway in prostate cancer cells, and to determine the means by which it affects prostate cancer. XIAP, Pim-2 and p-eIF4B expressions were detected in PCA and BPH tissues. Then the Pim-2 and XIAP expressions were manipulated using transfection or RNAi in prostatic cells. Finally, Pim-2/eIF4B/XIAP levels were examined in PCA tissues with different clinicopathologic features. XIAP was significantly higher in PCA than in BPH tissues. When Pim-2 was transfected into noncancerous prostate epithelial cells RWPE-1, Pim-2, p-eIF4B and XIAP were all significantly increased and the apoptosis rate was significantly decreased. When XIAP was transfected into RWPE-1 cells, XIAP was significantly increased with no impact on Pim-2, p-eIF4B and the apoptosis rate. When Pim-2 SiRNA was transfected into prostate cancer cells PC-3, Pim-2, p-eIF4B and XIAP were significantly decreased and the apoptosis rate was significantly increased. When XIAP SiRNA was transfected into PC-3 cells, XIAP was significantly decreased with no impact on Pim-2, p-eIF4B and apoptosis rate. Pim-2, p-eIF4B and XIAP were all significantly higher in PCA tissues with GS ≥8 than those with GS ≤7. XIAP is the downstream factor of Pim-2 pathway in prostate cancer cells. Pim-2 and XIAP cooperate in inhibiting the apoptosis of prostate cancer cells. The activation of Pim-2 pathway may predict higher GS in prostate cancer.
KeywordsPim-2 XIAP Apoptosis Malignant grade
National Natural Science Foundation of China (81101945).
Chongqing Municipal Public Health Bureau (2011–2-038).
Chongqing Science and Technology Commission (cstc2016jcjA0099).
- 10.Kapelko-Słowik K, Urbaniak-Kujda D, Wołowiec D, Jaźwiec B, Dybko J, Jakubaszko J, Słowik M, Kuliczkowski K (2013) Expression of PIM-2 and NF-κB genes is increased in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and is associated with complete remission rate and overall survival. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 67:553–559 PMID: 23752607CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Asano J, Nakano A, Oda A, Amou H, Hiasa M, Takeuchi K, Miki H, Nakamura S, Harada T, Fujii S, Kagawa K, Endo I, Yata K, Sakai A, Ozaki S, Matsumoto T, Abe M (2011) The serine/threonine kinase Pim-2 is a novel anti-apoptotic mediator in myeloma cells. Leukemia 25(7):1182–1188. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2011.60 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zhang P, Chen L, Song Y, Li X, Sun Y, Xiao Y, Xing Y (2016) Tetraiodothyroacetic acid and transthyretin silencing inhibit pro-metastatic effect of L-thyroxin in anoikis-resistant prostate cancer cells through regulation of MAPK/ERK pathway. Exp Cell Res 347(2):350–359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexcr.2016.08.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Berezovskaya O, Schimmer AD, Glinskii AB, Pinilla C, Hoffman RM, Reed JC, Glinsky GV (2005) Increased expression of apoptosis inhibitor protein XIAP contributes to anoikis resistance of circulating human prostate cancer metastasis precursor cells. Cancer Res 65:2378–2386. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-2649 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nomura T, Yamasaki M, Nomura Y, Mimata H (2005) Expression of the inhibitors of apoptosis proteins in cisplatin-resistant prostate cancer cells. Oncol Rep 14:993–997 PMID: 16142363Google Scholar
- 18.Tamm I, Kornblau SM, Segall H, Krajewski S, Welsh K, Kitada S, Scudiero DA, Tudor G, Qui YH, Monks A, Andreeff M, Reed JC (2000) Expressionand prognostic signicance of IAP-family genes in human cancers and myeloid leukemias. Clin Cancer Res 6:1796–1803 PMID: 10815900Google Scholar
- 19.Rodríguez-Berriguete G, Torrealba N, Ortega MA, Martínez-Onsurbe P, Olmedilla G, Paniagua R, Guil-Cid M, Fraile B, Royuela M (2015) Prognostic value of inhibitors of apoptosis proteins (IAPs) and caspases in prostate cancer: caspase-3 forms and XIAP predict biochemical progression after radical prostatectomy. BMC Cancer 15:809. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1839-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Seligson DB, Hongo F, Huerta-Yepez S, Mizutani Y, Miki T, Yu H, Horvath S, Chia D, Goodglick L, Bonavida B (2007) Expression of x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein is a strong predictor of human prostate cancer recurrence. Clin Cancer Res 13(20):6056–6063. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-0960 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Ferreira CG, van der Valk P, Span SW, Ludwig I, Smit EF, Kruyt FA, Pinedo HM, van Tinteren H, Giaccone G (2001) Expression of x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis as a novel prognostic marker in radically resected non-small cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 7(8):2468–2474 PMID: 11489828Google Scholar