NRG-1 Stimulates Serum DJ-1 Increase in Breast Cancers
To explore the relationship between the expression of DJ-1/HER3 and tumor grade in breast cancer, and investigate the effect of HER3 on NRG-1-mediated serum DJ-1 level in vivo. We analyze the expression level of DJ-1 and HER3 in 68 patients with different grades of breast cancer by immunostaining the tissue microarray. Besides, we investigated the serum DJ-1 level by ELISA. We found that the detectable DJ-1 protein expression is decreased, and the HER3 expression is increased in tumor tissue with the progression of breast cancer. There is a significant rise of DJ-1 in serum in vivo with the stimulation of NRG-1. Meanwhile, we found that HER3 knockdown abolishes NRG-1-induced serum DJ-1 increase and HER3 overexpress improves NRG-1-induced serum DJ-1 increase. This study provides a serum biomarker for breast cancer. The results showed that DJ-1 was associated with clinical stage of breast cancer, and NRG-1 increased the dissociation of HER3 and DJ-1, with promoting the level of DJ-1 in peripheral blood. It is suggested that the level of DJ-1 in peripheral blood may be conducive to assess the prognosis of patients with breast cancer and serum DJ-1 levels can serve as an indicator of therapeutic effectiveness for the development of HER3 targeting breast cancer antibody therapies.
KeywordsSerum DJ-1 HER3 NRG-1 Breast cancers MCF-7 cells
This project was sponsored by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 81373398); a Project Funded by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
- 2.Bonifati V, Rizzu P, van Baren MJ, Schaap O, Breedveld GJ, Krieger E, Dekker MC, Squitieri F, Ibanez P, Joosse M, van Dongen JW, Vanacore N, van Swieten JC, Brice A, Meco G, van Duijn CM, Oostra BA, Heutink P (2003) Mutations in the DJ-1 gene associated with autosomal recessive early-onset parkinsonism. Science 299:256–259. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1077209 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Engelman JA, Zejnullahu K, Mitsudomi T, Song Y, Hyland C, Park JO, Lindeman N, Gale CM, Zhao X, Christensen J, Kosaka T, Holmes AJ, Rogers AM, Cappuzzo F, Mok T, Lee C, Johnson BE, Cantley LC, Janne PA (2007) MET amplification leads to gefitinib resistance in lung cancer by activating ERBB3 signaling. Science 316:1039–1043. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1141478 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Karagianni M, Kaitelidou D, Kalokairinou A, Mantas J (2014) Breast cancer in social media: a literature review. Stud Health Technol Inform 202:321Google Scholar
- 9.Le Naour F, Misek DE, Krause MC, Deneux L, Giordano TJ, Scholl S, Hanash SM (2001) Proteomics-based identification of RS/DJ-1 as a novel circulating tumor antigen in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 7:3328–3335Google Scholar
- 10.Mahar I, Tan S, Davoli MA, Dominguez-Lopez S, Qiang C, Rachalski A, Turecki G, Mechawar N (2011) Subchronic peripheral neuregulin-1 increases ventral hippocampal neurogenesis and induces antidepressant-like effects. PLoS One 6:e26610. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0026610 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Meetze K, Vincent S, Tyler S, Mazsa EK, Delpero AR, Bottega S, McIntosh D, Nicoletti R, Winston WM, Weiler S, Feng B, Gyuris J, Weng Z (2015) Neuregulin 1 expression is a predictive biomarker for response to AV-203, an ERBB3 inhibitory antibody, in human tumor models. Clin Cancer Res 21:1106–1114. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-2407 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Pardo M, Garcia A, Thomas B, Pineiro A, Akoulitchev A, Dwek RA, Zitzmann N (2006) The characterization of the invasion phenotype of uveal melanoma tumour cells shows the presence of MUC18 and HMG-1 metastasis markers and leads to the identification of DJ-1 as a potential serum biomarker. Int J Cancer 119:1014–1022. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21942 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Shames DS, Carbon J, Walter K, Jubb AM, Kozlowski C, Januario T, Do A, Fu L, Xiao Y, Raja R, Jiang B, Malekafzali A, Stern H, Settleman J, Wilson TR, Hampton GM, Yauch RL, Pirzkall A, Amler LC (2013) High heregulin expression is associated with activated HER3 and may define an actionable biomarker in patients with squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. PLoS One 8:e56765. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056765 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, Hastie T, Marron JS, Nobel A, Deng S, Johnsen H, Pesich R, Geisler S, Demeter J, Perou CM, Lonning PE, Brown PO, Borresen-Dale AL, Botstein D (2003) Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:8418–8423. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0932692100 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Tsuchiya B, Iwaya K, Kohno N, Kawate T, Akahoshi T, Matsubara O, Mukai K (2012) Clinical significance of DJ-1 as a secretory molecule: retrospective study of DJ-1 expression at mRNA and protein levels in ductal carcinoma of the breast. Histopathology 61:69–77. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2012.04202.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar