Tumor Preventive Efficacy of Emodin in 7,12-Dimethylbenz[a]Anthracene-Induced Oral Carcinogenesis: a Histopathological and Biochemical Approach
- 262 Downloads
The aim of the present study is to focus the chemopreventive potential of Emodin during 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA) induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Tumors were developed in the buccal pouches of golden Syrian hamsters by painting with 0.5% DMBA thrice a week for 14 weeks. The status of lipid peroxidation, antioxidants and detoxification agents were utilized as biochemical endpoints and the expression pattern of apoptotic proteins was employed as molecular endpoints in addition to the histopathological studies, to substantiate the anticancer potential of Emodin. Hamsters treated with DMBA + Emodin revealed mild to moderate precancerous lesions such as hyperplasia and dysplasia whereas 100% tumor formation was noticed in hamsters treated with DMBA alone. Also, Emodin treatment modulated the status of lipid peroxidation, antioxidants, phase I and II detoxification agents and apoptotic proteins in favor of the inhibition/reversal/suppression of the oral tumorigenesis in DMBA treated hamsters. The present study thus concludes that the chemopreventive potential of Emodin relies on its pro-apoptotic and antioxidant efficacy during DMBA induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis.
KeywordsOral cancer Emodin Lipid peroxidation Antioxidants Apoptosis Detoxification agents
Financial assistance to Mr. A. Manimaran, in the form of ICMR-SRF from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 7.Manoharan S, Kavitha K, Balakrishnan S, Rajalingam K (2008) Clerodendron Inerme protects cellular integrity during 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]-anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Afr J Trad Comp Alter Med 5(2):213–222Google Scholar
- 32.Ernster L (1967) DT-Diaphorase. In: Pullman ME (ed) Estabrook RW. Methods Enzymol Academic Press, New York, pp 309–317Google Scholar
- 34.Manoharan S, Balakrishnan S, Menon VP, Alias LM, Reena AR (2009) Chemopreventive efficacy of curcumin and piperine during 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Singap Med J 50(2):139–146Google Scholar
- 35.Karthikeyan S, Manoharan S (2016) Cromolyn inhibits 7, 12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene induced oral cancer through apoptotic induction and suppression of cell proliferation. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 7(1):35–42Google Scholar
- 36.Manoharan S, Rajasekaran D, Prabhakar MM, Karthikeyan S, Manimaran A (2015) Modulating effect of Enicostemma littorale on the expression pattern of apoptotic, cell proliferative, inflammatory and angiogenic markers during 7, 12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Toxicol Int 22(1):130–140. doi: 10.4103/0971-6580.172276 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 39.Valavanidis A, Vlachogianni T, Fiotakis K, Loridas S (2013) Pulmonary oxidative stress, inflammation and cancer: Respirable particulate matter, fibrous dusts and ozone as major causes of lung carcinogenesis through reactive oxygen species mechanisms. Int J Environ Res Pub Health 10(9):3886–3907. doi: 10.3390/ijerph10093886 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 46.Manoharan S, Sindhu G, Nirmal MR, Vetrichelvi V, Balakrishnan S (2011) Protective effect of berberine on expression pattern of apoptotic, cell proliferative, inflammatory and angiogenic markers during 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis. Pak J Biol Sci 14(20):918–932CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar