Characteristics of HIV-1 Molecular Epidemiology in Suzhou, China, from 2009 to 2014
- 56 Downloads
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) remain major public health problems in China, where approximately 780,000 people currently live with HIV, according to the 2012 China AIDS Response Progress Report. Suzhou was an early epidemic region in Jiangsu province and the current situation of HIV-1 prevalence is complicated. In the late 1980s, a labor force returning to Suzhou from Asia and Africa contributed to an early HIV-1 epidemic in the region. The first case of HIV-1 in Suzhou was identified by a sexually transmitted disease clinic in 1992 (Xia et al.1993). Suzhou later attracted migrant populations, complicating the HIV-1 subtypes circulating in the region. In 1998, an immigrant from Xinjiang province was diagnosed as the first case of HIV-1 acquired by intravenous injection in Suzhou (Shao et al.1999a). According to HIV epidemic surveillance data collected in Jiangsu province since 2011, Suzhou is now one of five cities in...
We gratefully acknowledge the contribution of the HIV-1 patients who participated in this study and also wish to thank the staff of the local CDC for recruiting participants, collecting samples, and technical assistance. This work was supported by grants from the Open Research Fund Program of the State Key Laboratory of Virology of China (2017IOV003), the Health Department of Jiangsu Province (Y2013062), and Suzhou Science Technology Bureau (SYS201452) and in part by grants from the National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (81101257) and the Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province (H201355).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Animal and human rights statement
Animal and Human Rights Statement was obtained from all patients for whom identifying information is included in this article.
- An M, Han X, Xu J, Chu Z, Jia M, Wu H, Lu L, Takebe Y, Shang H (2012) Reconstituting the epidemic history of HIV strain CRF01_AE among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Liaoning, northeastern China: implications for the expanding epidemic among MSM in China. J Virol 86:12402–12406CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ding J, Xu J, Huan X, Liu X, Fu G, Wang X, Qiu T, Xu X, Yang H (2012) Analysis of AIDS epidemic in 2011 in Jiangsu Province. Jiangsu J Prev Med 5:34–35 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Fu Z, Zhao X, Zhao Y, Cao X, Zhang F, Shao M (2013) The AIDS epidemic analysis in Suzhou from 2005–2012. Jiangsu J Prev Med 24:48–49 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Fu Z, Zhao X, Cao X, Zhao Y, Zhang F, Shao M (2014) HIV incidence among men who have sex with men in Suzhou city: a cohort study. Chin J Public Health 30:726–728 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- He X, Xing H, Ruan Y, Hong K, Cheng C, Hu Y, Xin R, Wei J, Feng Y, Hsi JH, Takebe Y, Shao Y, Group for HIVMES (2012) A comprehensive mapping of HIV-1 genotypes in various risk groups and regions across China based on a nationwide molecular epidemiologic survey. PLoS ONE 7:e47289CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ng KT, Ng KY, Khong WX, Chew KK, Singh PK, Yap JK, Tan MT, Leo YS, Laeyendecker O, Quinn TC, Kamarulzaman A, Tee KK, Ng OT (2013) Phylodynamic profile of HIV-1 subtype B, CRF01_AE and the recently emerging CRF51_01B among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Singapore. PLoS ONE 8:e80884CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shao M, Shi S, Zhang H, Liu C (1999a) The first HIV-1 infection case report in foreign durg users in Suzhou. J Handan Med College 12:364 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Stoeckli TC, Steffen-Klopfstein I, Erb P, Brown TM, Kalish ML (2000) Molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 in Switzerland: evidence for a silent mutation in the C2V3 region distinguishing intravenous drug users from homosexual men. Swiss HIV Cohort Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 23:58–67CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xia J, Wu W, Min X, Shi S, Yang H (1993) The investigation of first AIDS patient in Suzhou Shanghai. J Prev Med 5:23 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zhao Y, Cao X, Zhan F (2005) The HIV/AIDS Survey in Suzhou from 1992-2004. Dis Surveill 20:123–124 (in Chinese) Google Scholar