An optimal mutually coupled concentric circular antenna array synthesis using ant lion optimization
- 22 Downloads
This paper presents an accurate design approach for concentric circular antenna array (CCAA) synthesis to improve the far-field radiation characteristics using a meta-heuristic optimization technique called ant lion optimization (ALO). The far-field radiation pattern is improved with lower side lobe level (SLL) which is essential for the reduction of interference in the entire side lobe regions. The ALO algorithm is a recently proposed evolutionary technique which is applied to determine the optimal sets of current excitation weights and to find the optimal inter-element spacing between the array elements in the 3-ring structure of the CCAA design. In this context, the design examples of two 3-ring CCAAs, one having the set of (4, 6, 8) elements and the other having the set of (8, 10, 12) elements, with and without the centre element, are presented by optimizing the array parameters. The results obtained by using the ALO algorithm–based approach show considerable improvement of SLL with respect to that of the uniform array pattern and those of the methods reported in the recent literature.
KeywordsConcentric circular antenna array Side lobe level Directivity Ant lion optimization Mutual coupling
Mr. Avishek Das has received Visvesvaraya Fellowship from MeitY, Govt. of India. Dr. D. Mandal received a project grant from the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), New Delhi, Government of India (project no. EEQ/2017/000519 dated 23 March 2018).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.Collin RE (1985) Antenna and radio wave propagation. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ballanis CA (1997) Antenna theory analysis and design, 2nd edn. John Willey and Son’s Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Huebner D (1978) Design and optimization of small concentric ring arrays. Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Washington, DC,USAGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mandal D, Ghoshal SP, Bhattacharjee AK (2010) Design of concentric circular antenna array with centre element feeding using particle swarm optimization with constriction factor and inertia weight approach and evolutionary programming technique. Journal of Infrared, Millimetre and Terahertz Waves 31(6):667–680Google Scholar
- 15.Bencivenni C, Ivashina MV, Maaskant R (2015) Multi-element aperiodic array synthesis by compressive sensing. International conference on electromagnetics in advanced applications (ICEAA), Turin, pp 223–226Google Scholar
- 19.Gupta E, Saxena A (2016) Performance evaluation of antlion optimizer based regulator of automatic generation control of interconnected power system. JEng. Volume 2016, Article ID:4570617.Google Scholar