Dynamic Multicriteria Alternative Routing for single- and multi-service reservation-oriented networks and its performance
- 48 Downloads
We propose a new Dynamic Multicriteria Alternative Routing (DMAR) method that applies to reservation-oriented networks. DMAR combines a dynamic alternative routing scheme with a periodic update of alternative paths according to a multicriteria algorithm that aims to balance the traffic between traffic flows in single-service networks and also between services in multi-service environments. We conducted extensive simulations to compare the performance of DMAR with that of other reference alternative routing schemes in single- and multi-service networks with several topologies and load scenarios, namely with non-stationary traffic. We show that DMAR efficiently adjusts to traffic changes while often presenting better network performance than the reference alternative routing schemes, particularly in the multicriteria sense.
KeywordsMulticriteria optimization QoS routing Dynamic alternative routing Multi-service networks Blocking probability Implied costs
Lúcia Martins has been supported by FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia) under project grant UID/MULTI/-00308/2013 and by FEDER Funds and National Funds through FCT under the project CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-029312.
- 2.Gibbens R (1988) Dynamic routing in circuit-switched networks: the dynamic alternative routing strategy. Ph.D. thesis, University of CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 3.Girard A (1990) Routing and dimensioning in circuit-switched networks. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kist A, Harris R (2003) Scheme for alternative packet overflow routing (SAPOR). In: Workshop on High Performance Switching and Routing, HPSR. IEEE, pp 269–274Google Scholar
- 12.Ash G, McDysan D (2012) Generic connection admission control (GCAC) algorithm specification for IP/MPLS networks. RFC 6601. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6601.txt
- 13.Martins L, Francisco C, Redol J, Craveirinha J, Clímaco J, Monteiro P (2009) Evaluation of a Multiobjective alternative routing method in carrier IP/MPLS networks. In: Proceedings of the 8th International IFIP-TC 6 Networking Conference, Networking 2009, pp 195–206Google Scholar
- 14.Clímaco J, Craveirinha J, Girão-Silva R (2016) Multicriteria analysis in telecommunication network planning and design: a survey. Int Ser Oper Res Manag Sci 233:1167–1233Google Scholar
- 18.Francisco C, Martins L, Medhi D (2018) Traffic model for dynamic multicriteria alternative routing for single- and multi-service reservation-oriented networks. Tech. Rep. 1, INESC-Coimbra, available online: https://www.uc.pt/en/org/inescc/res_reports_docs/research_reports
- 23.Sivasankar R, Ramam S, Subramaniam S, Rao T, Medhi D (2000) Some studies on the impact of dynamic traffic in a QoS-based dynamic routing environment. In: Proceedings of 2000 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), vol 2, pp 959–963Google Scholar
- 24.Mesquite Software: CSIM. http://www.mesquite.com/