A methodology for validating cloud models using metamorphic testing
- 282 Downloads
Cloud computing is a paradigm that provides access to a flexible, elastic and on-demand computing infrastructure, allowing users to dynamically request virtual resources. However, researchers typically cannot experiment with critical parts of cloud systems such as the underlying cloud architecture, resource-provisioning policies and the configuration of resource virtualisation. This problem can be partially addressed through using simulations of cloud systems. Unfortunately, the problem of testing cloud systems is still challenging due to the many parameters that such systems typically have and the difficulty in determining whether an observed behaviour is correct. In order to alleviate these issues, we propose a methodology to semi-automatically test and validate cloud models by integrating simulation techniques and metamorphic testing.
KeywordsMetamorphic testing Cloud computing Simulation and modelling
This research was partially supported by the Spanish MEC projects TESIS (TIN2009-14312-C02-01) and ESTuDIo (TIN2012-36812-C02-01).
- 1.Bertolino A, Grieskamp W, Hierons RM, Le Traon Y, Legeard B, Muccini H, Paradkar A, Rosenblum D, Tretmans J (2010) Model-based testing for the cloud. In: Practical Software Testing : Tool Automation and Human Factors, no. 10111 in Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings. Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik, Germany, pp 1–11Google Scholar
- 2.Buyya R, Beloglazov A, Abawajy J (2010) Energy-efficient management of data center resources for cloud computing: a vision, architectural elements, and open challenges. In: 16th Int. Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, PDPTA’10. CSREA Press, pp 1–12Google Scholar
- 3.Buyya R, Ranjan R, Calheiros RN (2009) Modeling and simulation of scalable cloud computing environments and the CloudSim toolkit: challenges and opportunities. In: 7th High Performance Computing and Simulation Conference, HPCS’09. IEEE Computer Society, pp 1–11Google Scholar
- 4.Calheiros RN, Buyya R, De Rose CAF (2010) Building an automated and self-configurable emulation test bed for grid applications. Softw: Pract Experience 40(5):405–429Google Scholar
- 5.Casanova H, Legrand A, Quinson M (2008) SimGrid: a generic framework for large-scale distributed experiments. In: 10th Int. Conf. on Computer Modeling and Simulation, UKSIM’ 08Google Scholar
- 9.Hierons RM, Merayo MG, Núñez M (2010) Mutation testing. In: Laplante P A (ed) Encyclopedia of Software Engineering. Taylor & FrancisGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kim KH, Beloglazov A, Buyya R (2009) Power-aware provisioning of cloud resources for real-time services. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Middleware for Grids, Clouds and e-Science. Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA , pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 12.Myers G (2004) The Art of Software Testing, 2nd edn. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ried S, Kisker H, Matzke P, Bartels A, Lisserman M (2011) Sizing the cloud—a BT futures report. Understanding and quantifying the future of cloud computing. Forrester Research ReportGoogle Scholar
- 17.The Network Simulator, NS-2: Web page at. Date of last access: 8th August, 2013. http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/