Recrystallization Texture of Electrodeposited Zinc
Electrodeposited zinc layers help prevent the corrosion of steel surfaces. The microstructure, surface morphology, and texture of the electrodeposits are related to the deposition variables. Herein the surface morphology and microstructure are investigated as functions of the special electrodeposition variables, such as electrolyte composition, over-potential, current density, electrolyte temperature and pH. Upon heat treatment, the texture of the electrodepositd layers changes into a recrystallization texture. The texture of the as-electrodeposited and recrystallized zinc layers are studied. The <11.0>//normal direction (ND) texture of the zinc electrodeposit can be obtained from zinc oxide, sodium hydroxide, potassium chloride, and sodium cyanide solution baths. The <11.0>//ND texture of the zinc electrodeposit did not change even after recrystallization. This phenomenon of zinc eletrodeposits could be described by the strain-energy release maximization model.
Key wordsZinc Electrodeposit Recrystallization Pole figure Texture Microstructure
This work was supported by the Kumoh National Institute of Technology.
- Hong, S. C., Kim, I. G., Lee, S. G., Lee, C. W., Lee, D. N. and Kim, I. (2018). Recrystallization texture of electrodeposited zinc. Proc. AEPA2018, Jeju, Korea.Google Scholar
- Hull, D. and Bacon, D. J. (2001). Introduction to Dislocations. 4th edn. Butterworth-Heinemann. Oxford, UK.Google Scholar
- Kang, S. Y., Yang, J. S. and Lee, D. N. (1995). Relationship between texture and surface morphology of copper electrodeposit. Plating Surface Finishing 82, 10, 67–70.Google Scholar
- Kim, I. and Hong, S. C. (1999). Initial and recrystallization textures and microstructures of Zn electrodeposit. Proc. ICOTOM-12, Montreal, Canada, 956–960.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. N. (2014). Texture and Related Phenomena. 2nd edn. The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials. Seoul, Korea.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. N. and Chang, Y. W. (1974). Changes in preferred orientation and structure of copper deposit depending upon electrolysis conditions. J. Korean Institute of Metals 12, 3, 243–250.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. N., Chang, Y. W. and Ye, G. C. (1981). Orientation and microstructure of watts and bright nickel electrodeposit. Plating Surface Finishing 68, 11, 46–50.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. N., Kang, S. Y. and Yang, J. S. (1995). Relationship between initial and recrystallization textures of copper electrodeposit. Plating Surface Finishing 82, 3, 76–79.Google Scholar
- Ye, G. C. and Lee, D. N. (1981). Orientation and microstructure of dull nickel electrodeposit. Plating Surface Finishing 68, 4, 60–64.Google Scholar