Sequential Approximate Optimization of MacPherson Strut Suspension for Minimizing Side Load by Using Progressive Meta-Model Method
- 78 Downloads
In a MacPherson strut suspension, the side load is inevitably generated and it causes friction at the damper reducing riding comfort. In this paper, to solve this problem, progressive meta-model based sequential approximate optimization (SAO) is performed to minimize the side load. To calculate the side load, a wheel travel analysis is performed by using flexible multi-body dynamics (FMBD) model of suspension, which can consider both finite element method (FEM) and multi-body dynamics (MBD). In the optimal design process, meta-model is generated by using extracted sampling points and radial basis function (RBF) method. As a result of optimal design, spring setting positions that minimize the side load are obtained and by using optimal spring setting positions, the suspension FMBD model was constructed.
KeywordsMacPherson strut suspension Side load Flexible multi-body dynamics Progressive meta-model Radial basis function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altair Engineering, Inc. (2014). MotionSolve 13.0 User’s Guide.Google Scholar
- Hamano, T., Nakamura, T., Enomoto, H., Sato, N., Nishizawa, S. and Ikeda, M. (2001). Development of Lshape coil spring to reduce a friction on the McPherson strut suspension system. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0497.Google Scholar
- Hastey, J. P., Jacques, B., Gerard, E., Jones, C. and Christelle, V. (1997). Optimization on MacPherson suspensions with a spring. SAE Paper No. 970100.Google Scholar
- Kim, J. S., Back, S. and Min, J. H. (2013). Development relationship between kingpin axis and strut axis to reduce a damper side load on the MacPherson strut suspension system. KSAE Annual Conf. Proc., Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 692–698.Google Scholar
- Nishizawa, S., Sakai, T., Ikeda, M. and Ruiz, W. (2006). Spring force line based damper friction control for coilover-shock applications. SAE Paper No. 2006-01-1538.Google Scholar
- Thomas, W., Karl, M., Karl, B. and Leo, S. (1994). Side load springs as a solution to minimize adverse side loads acting on the McPherson strut. SAE Paper No. 940862.Google Scholar