Design Optimization of a Rear Independent Suspension for the Korean Light Tactical Vehicle
- 142 Downloads
Steering and suspension handle the direction of a vehicle according to the driver’s intentions and control the disturbance from the road surface while supporting the vehicle body. The static and dynamic characteristics of two systems are critical factors for the ride comfort and the directional stability. In the layout stage, the hard points of steering and suspension systems are determined. In the next design stage, the detailed design of the system, including gearboxes, springs, shock absorbers, and control links, is carried out. While the optimal hard points of a suspension are determined at the precedent design, interference with other peripheral components should be carefully examined in the detailed design process. In the case of the design point change should be made to avoid the interference, subsequent position and shape changes of the link mechanism are required. Therefore, there is a need to examine the optimization of suspension compliance characteristics with chassis design changes and the durability performance of the modified design. This study proposes an integrated analysis method for the design optimization and the durability evaluation of such optimized design specifications of the rear independent suspension for a military vehicle.
Key WordsTactical vehicle Independent suspension Kriging model CMA-ES Durability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Choi, B. L., Choi, D. H., Kim, H. and Lee, H. (2008). An integrated chassis design procedure using the PIDO technology. SAE Paper No. 2008-01-0884.Google Scholar
- Dassault Systèmes (2011). ABAQUS Analysis User’s Manual 6.11. Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp. Providence, RI, USA.Google Scholar
- MSC Software (2010). Adams/Car Help - MSC Adams 2010. MSC Software Corporation. CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Paluskar, P. and Vaidya, R. (2011). Taguchi method (DOE) based performance optimization of a three link rigid axle passenger car suspension using MBD simulations. SAE Paper No. 2011-01-0734.Google Scholar
- PIDOTECH (2017). Practical Design Techniques Theory Manual. PIDOTECH Inc. Seoul, Korea.Google Scholar
- Safe Technology (2011). Fe-safe 6 User Manual. Safe Technology Limited. Sheffield, UK.Google Scholar
- Simpson, T. W., Toropov, V., Balabanov, V. and Viana F. A. C. (2008). Design and analysis of computer experiments in multidisciplinary design optimization: A review of how far we have come-or not. 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conf., 5802–5823.Google Scholar
- Yi, Y. S., Park, J. H. and Hong, K. J. (2014). Design optimization of suspension kinematic and compliance characteristics. SAE Paper No. 2014-01-0394.Google Scholar