Vehicle distance estimation using a mono-camera for FCW/AEB systems
- 541 Downloads
For robust vision-based forward collision warning (FCW) and autonomous emergency braking (AEB) systems, not only reliable detection performance including high detection rate and low false positives but also accurate measurement output of a target vehicle is required. Especially, in order to reduce false alarm or activation of FCW/AEB systems, the systems require the precise measurement output of a target object, such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time-to-collision (TTC). In this study, we developed a measurement estimation algorithm of a target vehicle using a monocular camera. This method estimates two cases of vehicle widths for a target vehicle by using the detected lane information and a pin-hole camera model. After that, the position, velocity, acceleration, and TTC of a target vehicle are estimated by using a Kalman filter for the each estimated vehicle width. To improve robustness, the both estimation results using the detected lane information and the pinhole camera model are fused. This estimation algorithm was evaluated and compared with the state-of-the-art technology. As a result, the proposed measurement output estimation method can improve the performance of the FCW/AEB systems.
Key wordsVehicle detection Measurement output Distance estimation Time-to-collision (TTC) Camera
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dagan, E., Mano, O., Stein, G. P. and Shashua, A. (2004). Forward collision warning with a single camera. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp., 37–42.Google Scholar
- Moon, S., Moon, I. and Shin, K. (2012). Forward collision warning system based on radar driven fusion with camera. Proc. AVEC. Google Scholar
- Park, K. and Hwang, S. (2014). Robust range estimation with a monocular camera for vision-based forward collision warning system. The Scientific World J., 2014, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Raphael, E., Kiefer, R., Reisman, P. and Hayon, G. (2011). Development of a camera-based forward collision alert system. SAE Paper No. 2011-01-0579.Google Scholar
- Stein, G. P., Mano, O. and Shashua, A. (2003). Visionbased ACC with a single camera: bounds on range and range rate accuracy. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp., 120–125.Google Scholar
- Stein, G. P., Ferencz, A. D. and Avni, O. (2012). Estimating Distance to an Object Using a Sequence of Image Recorded by a Monocular Camera. US Patent. US 8,164,628.Google Scholar
- Stein, G. P., Dagan, E., Mano, O. and Shashua, A. (2013). Collision Warning System. US Patent US2013/0308828.Google Scholar