Approach to functional safety-compliant ECU design for electro-mechanical brake systems
- 570 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a design approach to a functional safety-compliant ECU for an electro-mechanical brake (EMB) control system or an electronic wedge brake (EWB) control system. Brake actuators in a brake-by-wire (BBW) system such as EMB or EWB are characterized by the safety-critical functions which are now executed by using many electric and electronic devices with application software. Based on hazard analysis and risk assessments of the automotive functional safety standard ISO 26262, the proposed EMB control system should be ASIL-D-compliant, which is the highest ASIL level. To this end, a hardware and a software design method is introduced to implement functionl safety-oriented monitoring functions which are based on an asymmetric dual-core architecture with an external watchdog processor. It is shown by using EMB hardware-In-the-Loop-Simulation (HILS) that the proposed ECU design approach is very effective when a hardware fault or software execution faults occur in the EMB ECU, moreover, this functional safety-compliant design can be well combiled with the sensor fault-tolerant control logic.
Key WordsFunctional safety ISO 26262 Electro-Mechanical Brake (EMB) Brake-by-Wire (BBW)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IEC 61508 (2010). Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic /Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems. International Electrotechnical Commission.Google Scholar
- Infineon Technologies AG (2009). TC1797 User’s Manual.Google Scholar
- Infineon Technologies AG (2012). SafeTcore Safety Driver.Google Scholar
- Infineon Technologies AG (2012). CIC61508 User’s Manual.Google Scholar
- ISO 26262, Road Vehicles (2011). Functional Safety. International Organization for Standardization.Google Scholar
- Kwak, J. (2005). Modeling and Control of an Electromechanical Brake (brake-by-wire) System. Ph. D. Dissertation. School of Mechanical Engineering of Purdue University.Google Scholar