Torsion beam axle system design with a multidisciplinary approach
- 291 Downloads
This research proposes an automatic torsion beam axle optimization process with a multidisciplinary approach and generates the optimal torsion design parameters, such as thickness and shape. In order to construct an automatic analysis process, multidisciplinary analysis models, such as modal analysis, roll mode dynamic analysis, and fatigue analysis, were applied in batch mode. To understand the design space, a parametric study using the torsion beam thickness and shape was performed. Considering roll durability and K&C characteristics, the torsion beam axle could be optimized. For the automated design process, a PIDO tool called PIAnO was used. In conclusion, a reduction in the computer-aided simulation time was achieved, and the durability and K&C characteristics of the torsion beam were enhanced by optimizing the thickness and shape.
Key WordsTorsion beam axle (TBA) Optimization Kinematic and compliance characteristics (K&C) Durability Process integration and design optimization (PIDO)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cho, W. K., Lee, J. S., Sin, M. H. and Lee, D. J. (2006). Optimal design for variable roll rate torsion beam using design of experiment. Korean Society of Automotive Engineers Symp., KSAE06-S018, 1169–1174.Google Scholar
- Choi, S. J., Park, J. W., Jeon, K. K., Lee, D. J., Choi, G. J. and Park, T. W. (2006). A study on the simulation model verification for performance estimation of torsion beam axle. Korean Society of Automotive Engineers 14, 2, 107–113.Google Scholar
- Choi, B.-L., Choi, J.-H. and Choi, D.-H. (2005). Reliabilitybased design optimization of an automotive suspension system for enhancing kinematic and compliance characteristics. Int. J. Automotive Technology 6, 3, 235–242.Google Scholar
- Chun, H. H. Kwon, S. J. and Tak, T. (2007). Reliabilitybased design optimization of automotive suspension systems. Int. J. Automotive Technology 8, 6, 705–711.Google Scholar
- FRAMAX Inc. (2007). PIAnO User’s Manual. FRAMAX Inc.Google Scholar
- Hong, K.-J. (2001). Trust Region Managed Sequential Approximate Optimization with Response Surface Modeling. Ph.D. Dissertation. Hanyang University. Seoul. Korea.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. C. (2001). A study on the structural characteristics and roll behavior of suspension for the section profile of torsion beam. Korea ADAMS User Conf. Google Scholar