Two new species of Leptolobium (Leguminosae, Papilionoideae) from Brazil
- 83 Downloads
Two new species of Leptolobium from Brazil are described and illustrated. Leptolobium araguaiense, restricted to northern Brazil, is similar to L. panamense, but differs in raceme length, ovary pubescence, flower and bract length, hilum shape, habit, geographical distribution, and preferential habitat. Leptolobium multijugum, from midwestern Brazil, is perhaps most closely related to L. glaziovianum, but it has more numerous leaflets and smaller bracts and bracteoles than any other species in the genus.
Key wordsAcosmium Brazil Leptolobium Leguminosae Papilionoideae Sophoreae taxonomy
We are grateful to Andréia S. Flores for her assistance throughout this work, and to Rogério Lupo for preparing the illustrations. The curators of the cited herbaria are thanked for specimen loans. We express our appreciation to the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Departamento de Botânica). We appreciate the review and helpful comments on the manuscript offered by Dr. Benjamin Torke, and an anonymous reviewer. This paper is a part of the Ph.D. thesis of R. S. Rodrigues presented to the “Programa de Pós-Graduação em Biologia Vegetal” of the Institute of Biology, Unicamp. Financial support was provided by the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP proc. 00/09429-0).
- Daly D. C. & J. D. Mitchell. 2000. Lowland vegetation of tropical South America – an overview. Pp. 391–454. In: D. Lentz, (ed.), Imperfect balance: Landscape transformations in the pre-Columbian Americas. Columbia University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Pennington, R. T., M. Lavin, H. Ireland, B. Klitgaard, J. Preston & J.-M. Hu. 2001. Phylogenetic relationships of basal Papilionoideae legumes based upon sequences of the chloroplast trnL intron. Systematic Botany 26: 537–556.Google Scholar
- Rodrigues, R. S. & A. M. G. A. Tozzi. 2007a. Morphological analysis and re-examination of the taxonomic circumscription of Acosmium (Leguminosae, Papilionoideae, Sophoreae). Taxon 56: 439–452.Google Scholar
- ——— & ———. 2007b. Morfologia de plântulas de cinco leguminosas genistóides arbóreas do Brasil (Leguminosae-Papilionoideae). Acta Botanica Brasilica 21: 599–607.Google Scholar
- ——— & ———. 2008a. Reinstatement of the name Leptolobium Vogel (Leguminosae, Papilionoideae, Sophoreae). Taxon 57: 980–984.Google Scholar
- ——— & ———. 2008b. Systematic relevance of seedling morphology in Acosmium, Guianodendron, and Leptolobium (Leguminosae, Papilionoideae). Brittonia. 60:287–296.Google Scholar
- Yakovlev G. P. 1969. A review of Sweetia and Acosmium. Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh 29: 347–355.Google Scholar