Crinum malabaricum (Amaryllidaceae), a remarkable new aquatic species from Kerala, India and lectotypification of Crinum thaianum
- 443 Downloads
A new species, Crinum malabaricum Lekhak & S. R. Yadav, is described from a seasonal stream in Periya village of Kerala state, India. Lectotypification of C. thaianum J. Schulze is also provided.
Key WordsCytology ornamentals taxonomy
We thank the Head, Department of Botany, Shivaji University, Kolhapur for providing necessary facilities. Thanks are due to Dr J. F. Veldkamp (L) for the Latin diagnosis. We are thankful to Dr Avishek Bhattacharjee, AJC Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Botanical Survey of India, Howrah, for helping us with the typification and for critically going through the manuscript. We gratefully acknowledge the help of John Boggan (US), James Solomon (MO) for making available the images of specimens of Crinum thaianum and Rusty Russell (US) for permitting us to publish the image of the selected lectotype. We also thank Shrikant P. Sutar for illustrating the new species.
- Govaerts, R., Snijman, D. A., Marcucci, R., Silverstone-Sopkin, P. A. & Brullo, S. (2012). World Checklist of Amaryllidaceae. Facilitated by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Published on the Internet; http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/ Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- IUCN (2001). IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria: Version 3.1. Prepared by the IUCN Species Survival Commission. IUCN, Gland and Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Nordal, I. (1977). Revision of the East African taxa of the genus Crinum (Amaryllidaceae). Norweg. J. Bot. 24: 179 – 194.Google Scholar
- ____ & Wahlstrøm, R. (1980). A study of the genus Crinum in Cameroun. Adansonia, ser. 2, 20: 179 – 198.Google Scholar
- Raina, S. N. (1978). Genetic mechanism underlying evolution in Crinum. Cytologia 5: 797 – 803.Google Scholar
- ____ & Khoshoo, T. N. (1971). Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals II. Variation in mitotic complement in Crinum. Nucleus 14: 23 – 9.Google Scholar
- Schulze, J. (1971). Crinum thaianum J. Schulze sp. nov. Pl. Life 27: 127.Google Scholar
- ____ (1972). Crinum thaianum J. Schulze, A new aquatic species from Southeast Asia. Pl. Life 28: 33 – 42.Google Scholar
- Uphof, J. C. T. (1942). A review of the species of Crinum. Herbertia 9: 63 – 84.Google Scholar
- Verdoorn, I. (1973). The genus Crinum in Southern Africa. Bothalia 11: 27 – 52.Google Scholar