Evaluation of drug resistance mutations in patients with chronic hepatitis B
- 137 Downloads
Mutations occurring in viral polymerase gene of hepatitis B virus (HBV) due to the use of nucleos(t)id analogs reduce the activity of the drugs by causing antiviral resistance. In this study, it was aimed to evaluate mutations responsible for drug resistance and drug resistance mutation rates in patients followed up by the diagnosis of chronic hepatitis B (CHB). A total of 318 CHB patients were included in the study. HBV mutations were detected using the INNO-LiPA commercial kit based on the reverse hybridization principle. Drug resistance mutation was detected in 46.86% (149/318) of the patients. The rates of drug resistance were found 36.79% (117/318) for lamivudine resistance, 12.58% (40/318) for entecavir (ETV), and 7.86% (25/318) for adefovir. In 10 patients, the possible tenofovir (TDF) resistance (3.14%) was found. Single-drug and double-drug resistances were detected in 34.59% and in 11.01% of the patients, respectively. Triple drug resistance was detected in only 1.26% of the patients. Unlike various studies in Turkey and in other countries, remarkable resistance to ETV and TDF were found in this study. The high rate of the probable TDF resistance was striking, with 3.14%.
Compliance with ethical standards
Ethical approval for this study was obtained by Ethics Committee of Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine (reference number: 2017/652/11).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Chantratita W, Song KS, Pongthanapisith V, Thongbaiphet N, Angkanavin K, Nimse SB, Sonawane MD, Kim T (2016) HBV/4DR 9G test and its comparison with INNO-LiPA HBV multi-DR test for the detection of drug-resistant. Hepatitis B virus. J Virol Methods 237:58–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviromet.2016.08.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Francesco MA et al (2015) Clinical course of chronic hepatitis B patients receiving nucleos(t)ide analogues after virological breakthrough during monotherapy with lamivudine. New Microbiol 38:29–37Google Scholar
- Hermans LE, Svicher V, Pas SD, Salpini R, Alvarez M, Ben Ari Z, Boland G, Bruzzone B, Coppola N, Seguin-Devaux C, Dyda T, Garcia F, Kaiser R, Köse S, Krarup H, Lazarevic I, Lunar MM, Maylin S, Micheli V, Mor O, Paraschiv S, Paraskevis D, Poljak M, Puchhammer-Stöckl E, Simon F, Stanojevic M, Stene-Johansen K, Tihic N, Trimoulet P, Verheyen J, Vince A, Weis N, Yalcinkaya T, Lepej SZ, Perno C, Boucher CA, Wensing AM, HEPVIR Working Group of the European Society for Translational Antiviral Research (2016) Combined analysis of the prevalence of drug-resistant hepatitis B virus in antiviral therapy-experienced patients in Europe (CAPRE). J Infect Dis 213:39–48. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiv363 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jiang B, Dai CY, Li XM, Su R, Xu J, Cao Y, Hou W, Lu W (2016) Drug-resistant mutations in hepatitis B virus found in chronic HBV carriers using PCR sequencing technology. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi 24:36–39. https://doi.org/10.3760/cma.j.issn.1007-3418.2016.01.007 Google Scholar
- Kalaycı R, Altındiş M, Gülamber C, Demirtürk N, Akcan Y, Demirdal T (2010) Kronik hepatit B ve hepatit C’li hastalarda genotip dağılımı ve hepatit B olgularında direnç paterninin araştırılması. Mikrobiyol Bul 44:237–243Google Scholar
- Kırdar S, Yaşa MH, Aydın N, Gültekin Korkmazgil B (2016) Detection of resistance mutations in chronic hepatitis B patients receiving lamivudine therapy using molecular method. Türk Mikrobiyol Cem Derg https://doi.org/10.5222/tmcd.2016.135
- Lok AS, Ganova-Raeva L, Cloonan Y, Punkova L, Lin HHS, Lee WM, Ghany MG, the Hepatitis B Research Network (HBRN) (2017) Prevalence of hepatitis B antiviral drug resistance variants in North American patients with chronic hepatitis B not receiving antiviral treatment. J Viral Hepat 24:1032–1042. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12732 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meng T, Shi X, Gong X, Deng H, Huang Y, Shan X, Shan Y, Huang A, Long Q (2017) Analysis of the prevalence of drug-resistant hepatitis B virus in patients with antiviral therapy failure in a Chinese tertiary referral liver centre (2010-2014). J Glob Antimicrob Resist 8:74–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2016.10.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Motahar M, Arabzadeh SA, Mollaei H, Iranmanesh Z, Nikpour N, Soleimani F (2016) Evaluation of HBV resistance to tenofovir in patients with chronic hepatitis B using ZNA probe assay in Kerman, southeast of Iran. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 6:513–516. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2222-1808(16)61079-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pastor R, Habersetzer F, Fafi-Kremer S, Doffoël M, Baumert TF, Gut JP, Stoll-Keller F, Schvoerer E (2009) Hepatitis B virus mutations potentially conferring adefovir/tenofovir resistance in treatment-naive patients. World J Gastroenterol 15:753–755. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.15.753 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sayan M, Senturk O, Akhan SC, Hulagu S, Cekmen MB (2010) Monitoring of hepatitis B virus surface antigen escape mutations and concomitantly nucleos(t)ide analog resistance mutations in Turkish patients with chronic hepatitis B. Int J Infect Dis 14(Suppl 3):e136–e141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2009.11.039 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shirvani-Dastgerdi E, Winer BY, Celià-Terrassa T, Kang Y, Tabernero D, Yagmur E, Rodríguez-Frías F, Gregori J, Luedde T, Trautwein C, Ploss A, Tacke F (2017) Selection of the highly replicative and partially multidrug resistant rtS78T HBV polymerase mutation during TDF-ETV combination therapy. J Hepatol 67:246–254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2017.03.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tozun N, Ozdogan O, Cakaloglu Y, Idilman R, Karasu Z, Akarca U, Kaymakoglu S, Ergonul O (2015) Seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C virus infections and risk factors in Turkey: a fieldwork TURHEP study. Clin Microbiol Infect 21:1020–1026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2015.06.028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- WHO (2017) Hepatitis B fact sheet. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs204/en/. Accessed 21.11.2017
- Yamada N, Sugiyama R, Nitta S, Murayama A, Kobayashi M, Okuse C, Suzuki M, Yasuda K, Yotsuyanagi H, Moriya K, Koike K, Wakita T, Kato T (2017) Resistance mutations of hepatitis B virus in entecavir-refractory patients. Hepatol Commun 1:110–121. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep4.1022 CrossRefGoogle Scholar